Subject: WG ACTION: ACCEPT [LL39] Remove multiple interface discussion from probe details

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 20:50:12 +0100

Accepting this issue has the following consequences:

==================

1) Change 2.2.1 text

If during this period, from the beginning of the probing process
until PROBE_MAX seconds after the last probe packet is sent, the host
receives any ARP packet (Request *or* Reply) where the packet's
'sender IP address' is the address being probed for, then the host
MUST treat this address as being in use by some other host, and MUST
select a new pseudo-random address and repeat the process.

to

If during this period, from the beginning of the probing process
until PROBE_MAX seconds after the last probe packet is sent, the host
receives any ARP packet (Request *or* Reply) on the interface where
the probe is being performed where the packet's
'sender IP address' is the address being probed for, then the host
MUST treat this address as being in use by some other host, and MUST
select a new pseudo-random address and repeat the process.

-----------------------

2) Change 2.2.1 text from

In
addition, if during this period the host receives any ARP probe where
the packet's 'target IP address' is the address being probed for, and
the packet's 'sender hardware address' is not the hardware address of
any of the host's interfaces, then the host MUST similarly treat this
as an address collision and select a new address as above. This can
occur if two (or more) hosts attempt to configure the same Link-Local
IPv4 address at the same time.

To:

In
addition, if during this period the host receives any ARP probe where
the packet's 'target IP address' is the address being probed for, and
the packet's 'sender hardware address' is not the hardware address of
the interfaces the host is attempting to configure, then the host
MUST similarly treat this as an address collision and select a new
address as above. This can occur if two (or more) hosts attempt to
configure the same Link-Local IPv4 address at the same time.

==================

And in section 2.5, from:

At any time, if a host
receives an ARP packet (request *or* reply) where the 'sender IP
address' is the host's own IP address, but the 'sender hardware
address' does not match any of the host's own interface addresses,
then this is a conflicting ARP packet, indicating an address
collision.

To:

At any time, if a host receives an ARP packet (request *or* reply) on an 
interface where the 'sender IP address' is the IP address the host has 
configured for that interface, but the 'sender hardware address' does not 
match the hardware address of that interface, then this is a conflicting 
ARP packet, indicating an address collision.

==================

Please see: http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/zeroconf/msg00005.html
And: http://www.drizzle.org/~aboba/ZEROCONF/ll39.html

Regards,

Erik