Subject: Re: [dhcwg] Re: LL34: Comments on the state diagram and proposed text

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:37:59 +0200

Everybody,

Does anyone support including the state diagram in the
document?  I'm now thinking that it will be hard to get
right & its late in the game.

Should we simply refer to DNAv4 instead of discussing
when a host might transition from DHCP configured to
IPv4 LL configured state?

Ted, Mika,

It sounds like you agree that there should be text which
allows for a host to hold onto DHCP configuration with an
unexpired lease even when the network configuration does
not work - and at the same time configure an IPv4LL address.
Please suggest text.  Until I see what you propose specifically,
it is difficult to discuss it.

Thanks,

Erik

---

From: Eric Scanner Luce <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:51:30 -0700

>>>>> "EG" == Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
>>>>> wrote the following on Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:37:59 +0200

    EG> Does anyone support including the state diagram in the document?
    EG> I'm now thinking that it will be hard to get right & its late in
    EG> the game.

I actually like state diagrams but I have to admit Ted is right after
having been burned by other state diagrams in other drafts and rfc's
that were not updated and did not depict the actual protocol anymore.

    EG> Should we simply refer to DNAv4 instead of discussing when a
    EG> host might transition from DHCP configured to IPv4 LL configured
    EG> state?

I would prefer to refer to DNAv4, but have a relatively short in-line
comment indicating why this is relevant. In my experience this is nice
for implementors because it gives a hint without forcing you to go read
another document.

    EG> It sounds like you agree that there should be text which allows
    EG> for a host to hold onto DHCP configuration with an unexpired
    EG> lease even when the network configuration does not work - and at
    EG> the same time configure an IPv4LL address.

I also want to add my voice agreeing with this. I get hit with this on
my wireless laptop when signal is marginal for a short while - but still
good enough to work for the most part. The continual lossage of my DHCP
address because of the appearence of a link local address causes
frustration.

-- Scanner       ([email-masked])
   Nominum, Inc. | www.nominum.com | +1.650.779.6035