Subject: Strawman version of IPv4 Linklocal-09 posted

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 10:30:12 -0700 (PDT)

I've gone ahead and prepared a strawman version of draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal-09.txt:

http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/ZEROCONF/draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal-09.txt

nroff source:
http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/ZEROCONF/ipv4ll6.nr

This addresses the following issues:

o Various formatting concerns, such as indentation and double spaces after
  periods.

o The edits proposed in the following posts to the ZEROCONF list:

http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/zeroconf/2003-08/msg00009.html
http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/zeroconf/2003-06/msg00007.html

o The edits proposed in the following post:
http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/zeroconf/2003-08/msg00000.html

With the exception of the Timing issue 2), which appears unresolved at the
moment.

Comments solicited.

---

From: Mika Liljeberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 22:20:13 +0300

> I've gone ahead and prepared a strawman version of draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal-09.txt:
[...]

> http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/zeroconf/2003-06/msg00007.html

In...

   "If the host has no appropriate
   routable source address, then it MUST ARP for the destination address
   and then send its packet, with a link-local source IP address and a
   routable destination IP address, directly to the destination on the
   same physical link."

s/MUST/SHOULD/

I don't think we can tell a node not to drop the packet. In addition,
ARPing for everything does not work with multihoming. There needs to be
an escape hatch to allow multihomed stacks to implement something
appropriate (see also kre's followup).

> Comments solicited.

	MikaL

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 14:13:18 -0700 (PDT)

OK. I've made that change, and in addition have incorporated the
suggestion agreed to in the following post:

http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/zeroconf/msg02555.html