Subject: WG Action - ACCEPT [LL31] Alternate text for 'Does shorter timeouts for specific link technology lead to problems?'

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 11:06:13 +0200 (CEST)

Action: 
  [LL31] Accept

Notes:

This is a follow on to the rejection of LL12 and LL20.  All steps to
resolve these three items are described below.

To do:

In Section 2.2
Replace:

   When ready to begin probing, the host should then wait for a
   random time interval selected uniformly in the range zero to two
   seconds, and should then send four probe packets, spaced two
   seconds apart. This initial random delay helps ensure that a
   large number of hosts powered on at the same time do not all send
   their initial probe packets simultaneously.

With:

   When ready to begin probing, the host should then wait for a
   random time interval selected uniformly in the range zero to one
   seconds, and should then send three probe packets, spaced 
   randomly, zero to one seconds apart.

And:
Add to a (new) appendix section:

   Ethernet switches/bridges following IEEE 802.3D defaults, normally
   block packets for up to approximately 45 seconds immediately after a
   bridge port has been enabled. Techniques for avoiding adverse impact
   of such L2 behavior is outside of the scope of this protocol.

And:
Section 2.8 from:

   The
   time values specified above result in a delay of 8-10 seconds before
   a chosen IP address may be used.                 ^^^^

To:

   The
   time values specified above result in a delay of around 3.5 seconds
   before a chosen IP address may be used.          ^^^^^^^^^^

From:
 For a desktop machine on Ethernet,
   this may not be a great problem, but for other types of device,
   particularly portable hand-held wireless devices, a ten-second delay
                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^
   before networking services becomes available may not be acceptable.

To:
 For a desktop machine on Ethernet,
   this may not be a great problem, but for other types of device,
   particularly portable hand-held wireless devices, this delay
                                                     ^^^^
   before networking services becomes available may not be acceptable.