Subject: RE: [LL2]: Explicit Additional Mechanism to disable v4LL

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 11:00:52 -0800

> > Suppose a network in which, for whatever reason, the
> > resident hosts have been configured not to interact with LL
addresses.
> > In such a network, the visiting host which configures an LL address
> > will
> > find out eventually that it cannot communicate with any other host.
> > Wouldn't it be better to have a way to learn that immediately?
> 
> Sure.  There are lots of things that would be nice.   Some of them
> create opportunities for denial of service.   This is one.   Are you
> willing to have this immediate notification in one rare situation, in
> exchange for opening yourself up to a really easy denial of service
> attack?

Ted, this denial of service argument is really bogus. Let's face it: LL,
as specified, depends on ARP, and ARP is not secure. If someone is out
to conduct a DOS attack on LL, they don't need bother with DHCP.

-- Christian Huitema

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 12:22:54 -0700

> to conduct a DOS attack on LL, they don't need bother with DHCP.

No, they don't need to do it with DHCP, but it's *much* easier with 
DHCP.   And it's much harder to track down the offender.   I've 
explained this before, not sure why it needs repeating.