Subject: [LL17] Hosts with configured addresses MUST ARP for v4 LL addresses

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:21:05 +0100 (CET)

[WG chair hat off]
I accept the issue but not the requested text.

1) I agree however that the text is unclear in that the text should 
   be restructured to support 2 distinct sections one for source address
   selection, the other for destination address resolution, see [LL26]

2) The text implies that a host should use a LL address if it has a LL
   address and a configured address.  I believe this is a mistake and
   should not be implied.  This really depends on the outcome of [LL1]
   which has not yet been decided.

   Presently the requested text says:

   If the destination address is in the 169.254/16 prefix (including the
   169.254.255.255 broadcast address), the host SHOULD use its link-
   local source address, if it has one. If the host does not have a
   link-local source address, then it MUST ARP for the destination
   address and then send its packet, with a routable source IP address
   and a link-local destination IP address, directly to the destination
   on the same physical link.
   
   I recommend the following revised text:

   If the destination address is in the 169.254/16 prefix (including the
   169.254.255.255 broadcast address), then it MUST ARP for the
   destination address and then send its packet, with a routable source 
   IP address and a link-local destination IP address, directly to the 
   destination on the same physical link.

Erik