Subject: [LL10] Add warnings to applicability statement

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 17:56:44 +0100

Please note that the discussion period for this expires on
22 Feb 03.

I believe there is reason to 'defer' the decision on this until,
as Stuart suggests, we have a list of applications for which
there are applicability limitations.  We must undertake this
anyway, for issues
LL4  No examples of applications
LL5  Higher layer protocol considerations is not sufficiently draconian

I believe the consensus call at this point should be
Accept *for applications identified* in discussion of LL5.

I would like to see an analysis for IPP, HTTP, NFS, SIP, SMTP
and perhaps LDAP for cases where
(a) a client has a v4LL address and a server has a v4LL address
     and a global address
(b) a server has a v4LL address and a client has a v4LL address
     and a global address
(c) a server has a v4LL address and another server has a v4LL
     and a global address (this is important for several protocols
     in which servers talk to each other, there are proxies, etc.)

I am not calling for this analysis for LL10, but I anticipate that
the week after next we will discuss LL4, LL5 and other application
related issues (ending Mar 3).  Please let me know if you can
volunteer for analysis of any of these protocols as a subject
matter expert.

Thanks.

Erik
ZEROCONF WG chair

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 15:46:08 -0500

> and perhaps LDAP for cases where

why these specific apps?

---

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 11:05:15 +0100 (CET)

> > and perhaps LDAP for cases where

I want to consider the applications which folks in environments without
lots of administrators are likely to use.

IMO:  File sharing and print sharing are the 'classic' desktop
networking applications.  Email and web browsing are the 'big
applications' of the Internet.  Internet telephony and directory access
are likely to be the next big applications.

Do you have any additional suggestions or issues with that list?

Erik