Subject: WG Action ACCEPT [LL10] Add warnings to applicability statement

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 13:55:08 +0100 (CET)

LL10 Add warnings to applicability statement

    Accept the *modified* text in the issue
     (see http://www.spybeam.org/ll10.html)

  IPv4 link-local addresses and their dynamic configuration have
  profound implications upon applications which use them. This is
  discussed in Section 7. Many applications fundamentally assume
  that addresses of communicating peers are routable, relatively
  unchanging and unique. These assumptions no longer hold with IPv4
  link-local addresses, or a mixture of link-local and routable
  addresses. Therefore while many applications will work properly
  with LL addresses, or a mixture of LL and routable addresses,
  others may do so only after modification, or will exhibit reduced
  or partial functionality.

  In some cases it may be infeasible for the application to be
  modified to operate under such conditions.

  IPv4 link-local addresses should therefore only be used where
  stable, routable addresses are not available (such as on ad hoc
  or isolated networks) or in controlled situations where these
  limitations and their impact on applications are understood and
  accepted.

Erik
ZEROCONF WG Chair