Subject: RE: [LL17] Hosts with configured addresses MUST ARP for v4 LL addresses

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 08:44:35 -0800

Erik,

Your proposed text still has a reference to the source address:

>    If the destination address is in the 169.254/16 prefix (including
the
>    169.254.255.255 broadcast address), then it MUST ARP for the
>    destination address and then send its packet, with a routable
source
>    IP address and a link-local destination IP address, directly to the
>    destination on the same physical link.

I think it would be simpler to only deal with the destination address in
this paragraph:

    If the destination address is in the 169.254/16 prefix (including
the
    169.254.255.255 broadcast address), then it MUST ARP for the
    destination address and then send its packet directly to the
    destination on the same physical link.

-- Christian Huitema

---

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:48:25 +0100 (CET)

Christian,

>     destination on the same physical link.

Thank you.  I support your reformulated version.

Erik