Subject: WG action - 1 week to discuss [LL17] Hosts with configured addresses MUST ARP for v4 LL addresses

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 15:03:41 +0100 (CET)

Please see http://www.spybeam.org/ll17.html

This issue evoked no comment during the not-very-successful recent 
"WG consensus action: when to configure LL addrs"

Just to verify that it has been accepted, please consider this issue
before 16 Feb 2003.  If there is no comment, we will assume it is
acceptable.

Erik

---

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 21:30:08 +0700

Date:        Sun, 9 Feb 2003 15:03:41 +0100 (CET)
    From:        Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <Pine.SOL.3.96.1030209150021.28402E-100000@field>

  | Please see http://www.spybeam.org/ll17.html

I agree with that one as proposed.

kre

---

From: Mika Liljeberg <[email-masked]>
Date: 09 Feb 2003 17:22:28 +0200

> before 16 Feb 2003.  If there is no comment, we will assume it is

There is a dependency to LL19, which I believe must be resolved first.

	MikaL

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 07:50:52 -0500

From the issues page:

> This will replace the similar text in the specification:
> 
> If the destination address is in the 169.254/16 prefix (including the
> 169.254.255.255 broadcast address), the host SHOULD use its link-
> local source address, if it has one. If the host does not have a
> link-local source address, then it MUST ARP for the destination
> address and then send its packet, with a routable source IP address
> and a link-local destination IP address, directly to the destination
> on the same physical link. In many network stacks, achieving this
> functionality may be as simple as adding a routing table entry
> indicating that 169.254/16 is directly reachable on the local link.
> The host MUST NOT send a packet with a link-local destination address
> to any router for forwarding.

The above text is blurring two issues. I agree that when sending a
packet to a 169.254/16 destination, the packet should just be sent out
on the link, i.e., after ARPing for the destination.  But this should
happen regardless of what source address in use. The above text seems
to tie the use of ARP to when the source address is global.  Is there
a need for that?

Thoams

---

From: "Philip Nye" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:22:36 -0000

> From: "Thomas Narten" <[email-masked]>
>
> From the issues page:
>

I have already posted an issue to separate these two issues. See my email
"Section 2.6" earlier today which I have now sent as an issue.

There is a need to consider the source address in picking what to do with
the destination ONLY when the source address is LL - in which case the
packet must not be sent to a router and the options are either to ARP for
the destination (whether global or LL) or to simply drop the packet.

Philip