Subject: Re: IESG comments on draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal-07.txt

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 02:23:53 -0800

I have just finished reading the 569 messages posted during the month of 
January. This is hard work at times. Even averaging just two minutes per 
message, that was still 19 straight hours of reading.

I have prepared some responses to the IESG comments.

However, before I send that, I have also prepared some comments 
concerning what I feel are certain common misunderstandings. I will send 
these as a series of six separate emails, one topic per email. The 
purpose of these comments is not to stir up further debate, and I 
strongly request that people resist any urge to stir up further debate. 
If you disagree with me, please do so privately, and I will answer your 
emails.

The purpose of these comments is to try to give some context for the 
subsequent discussions. I have been working on Zero Configuration 
Networking since 1997, since before Zeroconf even had that name. I have 
given the subject a great deal of thought. In that time I have been with 
the Zeroconf Working Group since the first NITS BOF. I implemented, 
debugged, shipped and supported the IPv4LL code for Mac OS 9 in the late 
1990s. I wrote most of the text in draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal-xx. 
Some people seem to act as if they believe I have given the subject no 
thought at all. This is of course nonsense. You may disagree with me, but 
to claim I have given the subject no thought at all is clearly nonsense.

The intent of these comments is that when I subsequently write something 
that may appear nonsense to you, this background may help explain why 
what I wrote is not nonsense to me. That may not make you agree with it, 
but at least it may help provide a common ground for discussion so we can 
understand each other better.

Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
 * Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Computer, Inc.
 * Chairman, IETF Zeroconf
 * www.stuartcheshire.org