Subject: LL27 LL-only hosts

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 13:58:27 -0800

Bernard Aboba wrote:

>"Hosts supporting configuration of LLv4 addresses MUST also support
>configuration of a routable address, netmask and default route, whether
>manually or automatically. Hosts not supporting automated configuration
>(such as via DHCPv4) SHOULD require manual configuration to enable LLv4."

How can we say that a ZERO CONFIGURATION device "SHOULD require manual 
configuration"?

What about tiny devices where the ONLY interface to them is through the 
network? How do you communicate with them to turn on their zero 
configuration networking capability in the first place?

Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
 * Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Computer, Inc.
 * www.stuartcheshire.org

---

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 19:42:53 +0700

Date:        Sun, 23 Feb 2003 13:58:27 -0800
    From:        Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

  | How can we say that a ZERO CONFIGURATION device "SHOULD require manual 
  | configuration"?

Only where no automated config is being done.

  | What about tiny devices where the ONLY interface to them is through the 
  | network?

They do DHCP (or perhaps RARP, or something in weird cases).

kre