Subject: Re: new issue tracking for ZEROCONF WG

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 16:01:54 -0800

>I have transferred our existing issues into a tracking
>system based on the one used for the AAA WG.  This will
>simplify our ability to keep focus on a single issue at
>a time and come to closure on it.
>
>Please see:  http://www.spybeam.org/issues.html
>
>Is anything missing?  Is anything misrepresented?

Thank you for setting up this tracking system Erik.

You explained how to submit new issues, but what is the procedure for 
discussion of existing issues, to bring them to closure? Is there a 
convention for what goes in the subject line? Is the intention that the 
tracking system should include a brief summary of which people are on 
which side of the debate on each particular issue, in order to help 
ascertain whether or not the group has exhibited a rough consensus of 
opinion on each particular issue?

Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
 * Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Computer, Inc.
 * Chairman, IETF Zeroconf
 * www.stuartcheshire.org

---

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 09:04:48 +0100 (CET)

> opinion on each particular issue?

The most important thing to do first is get the issues into the tracking
system that we are going to discuss.  We want to get rapid closure on
remaining issues and not wander.  We also need a way to ensure we do not
cycle on issues which have already been resolved.  

We will not keep a list of proponents & opponents of suggestions.  We
are not voting nor working toward unanimity (we obviously won't come
close in this WG!)  Instead, we will make rough consensus calls and
reject as many peripheral issues and initiatives as possible. 

We will take the issues, one at a time, and discuss them for a fixed
period of time to reach closure.   We need suggested text for all our
issues before we can effectively discuss them.

When discussing an issue, please put the issue number and title in the
subject line, for instance

  Subject: Re: [LL1] Preferred use of configured to v4 LL address
  Subject: Text needed for [LL1]: Preferred use of configured to v4 LL
           address
  etc.

For last calls on particular issues the subject line will look like:

  Subject: WG action - 1 week to discuss [LL1]

And later

  Subject: WG action - [LL1] Accepted 

(or Rejected, etc.)

Is everyone OK with this procedure?  It worked for the AAA WG, which had
many more documents and issues than we do.  If we get snagged we can
find out what that WG did with the particular issues list procedure as
advice.

Best regards,

Erik