Subject: Fwd: draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal-00.txt

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 18:49:32 -0400

>In fact that is exactly what I've been working on this week. Erik Guttman has been reminding me for some time to get a new draft 
>submitted now that it is an official work item on the Zeroconf charter.

Thanks.

>I finished incorporating the last round of suggestions this morning, and
>submitted the draft with its new official draft-ietf-zeroconf filename
>today.
>
>For eager people who can't wait for it to appear in the Internet Drafts
>directory, you can get it right away at:
><http://web.zeroconf.org/draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal-00.txt>
>
>I'm hoping that we can get agreement on this and wrap it up rapidly.
>Both Mac OS and Microsoft Windows have implemented 169.254/16 link-local
>addresses for several years now, and every day we continue to debate the
>finer points of this document is taking time away from the far more
>important matter of getting IPv6 deployed.

This is deployed, is useful, and works fine.  In fact, it nearly
meets the requirements for Draft Standard given its interoperability
and deployment.  Customers want this and are already using it.

Can we please ship this ASAP and get it out as an RFC ?  

Perhaps the WG chair could start a formal WG Last Call 
as soon as the revised I-D appears in the official I-D archives 
(seems likely to happen on Tuesday or Wednesday this week) ?

In the meantime, if anyone has issues, it would be productive
to identify the issue crisply (along with proposed new text please,
griping without proposing a specific change isn't that 
productive, IMHO) in email to the ZeroConf WG list.

Thanks,

Ran
[email-masked]