Subject: Re: zeroconf wg actions: mailing list decisions

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 12:09:52 -0700 (PDT)

> The definition I propose is:
> 
>      A zeroconf protocol requires no a prior configuration.  A host
>      obtains all configuration a posteriori, on the basis of
>      interactions with other hosts or routers on the network, over
>      time.
> 
>      A non-zeroconf protocol requires configuration (for instance
>      user configuration, configuration burned into hardware,
>      configuration obtained from a client-server dynamic configuration
>      protocol, etc.)

Erik,
The "burned into hardware" might be misleading since I think we do
want to consider IPv6 stateless address autoconfiguration (driven from
the IEEE address burned into hardware) as a zeroconf protocol.

Are you trying to capture IP level configuration that is burned in?
(e.g. phones where a SIM hard has the DNS server addresses burned in
when the phone/SIM is bought)

If so it might make sense to somehow exclude e.g. link-layer 
configuration from the "burned in" discussion.

  Erik

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 17:07:23 -0400

At 15:09 05/09/00, Erik Nordmark wrote:

>want to consider IPv6 stateless address autoconfiguration (driven 
>from the IEEE address burned into hardware) as a zeroconf protocol.

Agree.  If its burned into the Ethernet chipset, it isn't 
user configuration, so would be in-the-zone to be considered 
zeroconf.

Ran