Subject: RE: IPv4 Scoped Address Architecture

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 09:04:10 -0700

Hi,

But isn't multi-homed actually quite likely in
SOHO environments where ZC would be useful?

A given host (e.g., a laptop) might easily have
both a IEEE 802.11 (Wireless Ethernet) and an
IRDA (infra-red) interface.

This presumption that all of the devices on a
ZC-based small network will be on the SAME link
using only ONE interface technology doesn't seem
very safe for postulating requirements.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald, consulting architect at Xerox and Sharp
  High North Inc

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Narten [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2000 3:37 AM
To: Stuart Cheshire
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: IPv4 Scoped Address Architecture 

> As long as the scope is just one of two cases -- either "link-local" or 
> "everything else" -- he said it should not be too hard.

It also helps if a host has only one interface, i.e., is NOT
multihomed. For multihomed hosts, you run into the problem that when
sending to a particular given link-local address, you don't know which
interface to send the packet out on.

Thomas

---

From: Dale Worley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 12:48:26 -0400

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>

I can easily envision my company making a device for home/SOHO use
that's a DSL modem, firewall, etc. gateway with multiple LAN
interfaces (Ethernet, wireless Ethernet, IRDA, Bluetooth, etc.).
Ideally, it would zero-conf on all the LAN interfaces and bridge them
all together (transparently to the user), together with establishing
routing and firewalling to/from the outside world.  (The DSL modem
interface would probably be configured by the service provider's
provisioning system, so it isn't a zero-conf issue.)

There could easily be a market for tens of millions of such devices,
given the rate DSL is being rolled out.

Dale
-- 
Dale R. Worley    Engineer                  <[email-masked]>
Agranat Systems   Embedded Web Technology   http://www.agranat.com/