Subject: proposed new charter text

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 16:38:25 +0200 (MET DST)

The following is a revised charter document.  The changes from the existing
charter are indicated by change bars in the right column.  The original
text is included as well, for comparison.

Please discuss.

Erik

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The goal of the Zero Configuration Networking (ZEROCONF) Working
Group is to enable networking in the absence of configuration and
administration.  Zero configuration networking is required for
environments where administration is impractical or impossible,
such as in the home or small office, embedded systems 'plugged
together' as in an automobile, or to allow impromptu networks as
between the devices of strangers on a train. 

ZEROCONF requirements will make networking as easy as possible,
but no easier. In some cases other considerations may dominate
ease of use.  For example, network security requires some
configuration which may not be as easy as the unacceptable
alternative of 'no security.' 

Networks where ZEROCONF protocols apply can include (but are not
limited to) environments where no DHCP, MADCAP or DNS servers 
are present. 

This working group will address both IPv4 and IPv6. 

Many functions which are not of fundamental importance to host
and application configuration are outside the scope of the working
group.  This is not because there are no other problems to solve
for networking in an environment without preexisting configuration. |
  WAS:                                                              |
   for networking in an environment without administration. This    |
This working group will focus on an achievable subset of these
problems.  The ZEROCONF WG will precisely define the requirements
for each of the following functions: 

* Automatic Host Configuration (IP address, network prefix,
  gateway router location, DNS server location) 

* Name-to-Address Translation 

* Service Discovery 

* Automatic allocation of Multicast Addresses 

* Sufficient security features to prevent networks                  |
  from being any less secure than networks which do not use         |
  ZEROCONF protocols                                                |
                                                                    |
  WAS:                                                              |
   * Sufficient security features to prevent ZEROCONF netoworks     |
     from being abused                                              |

The working group will define the requirements to provide these 
functions on two distinct network topologies: 

1. A single network segment, where all hosts are reachable by
   link-layer broadcast or multicast messages. 

2. A set of network segments, (on different IP subnetworks)
   interconnected by a single router. 

Automatic configuration of an arbitrary topology of routers and
subnets is out of the scope of the ZEROCONF WG charter. 

The working group will also define how such a network may           |
  WAS:                                                              |
   The working group will also define how such a network will       |

automatically transition from 'configured' to 'unconfigured'        |
behavior, as well as from 'unconfigured' to 'configured'.           |
  WAS:                                                              |
   automatically transition from 'administered' to 'unadministered' |
   behavior, as well as from 'unadministered' to 'administered'.    |
That is, the same hosts must be able to function on networks
with no configuration as well as be capable of direct IP
connectivity to the global Internet, including DNS entries
supplied through standard DNS services. It is also possible that
both modes (ZEROCONF and administered) may coexist on the same
network; the modes may not be exclusive of each other. 

When ZEROCONF networks or hosts which are configured using
ZEROCONF protocols are connected to the big 'I' internet,
they should not automatically become vulnerable to new
security threats. 

This WG will produce two documents. The first describes the 
requirements for the configuration (and security) services,
defaults, and mechanisms a node needs to fully participate on 
ZEROCONF networks and/or configured networks. The second, 
which follows the first, will detail a 'profile' specifying
which standards specifically satisfy ZEROCONF requirements. 

The WG will also produce protocol specifications for Automatic      |
Address Configuration for IPv4 and a Multicast Address Allocation   |
Protocol for IPv4 and IPv6.                                         |
  WAS:                                                              |
   The WG will not engage in any new protocol work. If there        |
   is no existing standard protocol which satisfies ZEROCONF        |
   requirements, the profile document may specify that a new        |
   protocol should be developed or recommend a change to an         |
   existing standard to apply to the ZEROCONF environment.          |

Goals and Milestones:

 Sep 00                                                             |
  WAS:                                                              |
   Mar 00                                                           |  
        
        Submit internet-draft to be considered as an Informational 
        RFC on Requirements for Zero Configuration Networking.      |
          WAS:                                                      |
           RFC on Requirements for Zero Administration Networking.  |

 Dec 00                                                             |
                                                                    |
        Submit Automatic Address Configuration for IPv4 to be       |
        considered as a Standards Track RFC.                        |
                                                                    |
 Dec 00                                                             |
                                                                    |
        Submit Multicast Address Allocation Protocol for Zeroconf   |
        Networks to be considered as a Standards Track RFC.         |

 Mar 01                                                             |
  WAS:                                                              |
   Jul 00                                                           |
        
        Submit internet-draft to be considered as an Informational
        RFC on Host Profile for Zero Configuration Networking.      |
           WAS:                                                     |
	    RFC on Host Profile for Zero Administration Networking. |
            If this profile cannot be written since required        |
            protocols are not yet standardized, recharter or        |
	    dismiss the ZEROCONF WG.  RFC on Host Profile for       |
	    Zero Administration Networking.                         |

---

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 19:46:34 -0700

> ...

>  gateway router location, DNS server location) 

I think we need to tidy up this wording. "DNS server location" ? !

Each interface on each host needs an appropriate IP address, and possibly 
an appropriate address mask. I think the term "Host Configuration" is too 
overloaded with additional meaning -- i.e. all the stuff that's usually 
in a DHCP packet -- like DNS server addresses -- and that directly 
conflicts with one of our other goals which is to operate without a 
conventional DNS server.

Lets say what we mean here, which is Interface Configuration, or perhaps 
even just Interface Address Selection.

Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
 * Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Computer