Subject: new charter document

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 18:25:20 +0200 (MET DST)

Please find attached a new charter document.  This has been
discussed at the IETF WG and on the mailing list.  Only one
change was requested on the list based on the trial text,
and this has been incorporated.

Please look it over before I submit it to the IESG for 
approval.

Erik

Zero Configuration Working Group (zeroconf)

Last Modified

  28 Aug 00

Chairs

  Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
  Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>

Area Directors

  Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
  Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>

Area Advisor 

  Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists

  General Discussion:  [email-masked]
  To Subscribe:        subscribe zeroconf your_email_address
  Archive:             http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/zeroconf/

Description of Working Group:

The goal of the Zero Configuration Networking (ZEROCONF) Working
Group is to enable networking in the absence of configuration and
administration.  Zero configuration networking is required for
environments where administration is impractical or impossible,
such as in the home or small office, embedded systems 'plugged
together' as in an automobile, or to allow impromptu networks as
between the devices of strangers on a train. 

ZEROCONF requirements will make networking as easy as possible,
but no easier. In some cases other considerations may dominate
ease of use.  For example, network security requires some
configuration which may not be as easy as the unacceptable
alternative of 'no security.' 

Networks where ZEROCONF protocols apply can include (but are not
limited to) environments where no DHCP, MADCAP or DNS servers 
are present. 

This working group will address both IPv4 and IPv6. 

Many functions which are not of fundamental importance to host
and application configuration are outside the scope of the working
group.  This is not because there are no other problems to solve
for networking in an environment without preexisting configuration. 
This working group will focus on an achievable subset of these
problems.  The ZEROCONF WG will precisely define the requirements
for each of the following functions: 

* Interface Configuration (IP address, network prefix,
  gateway router)

* Name-to-Address Translation 

* Service Discovery 

* Automatic allocation of Multicast Addresses 

* Sufficient security features to prevent networks                  
  from being any less secure than networks which do not use         
  ZEROCONF protocols                                                

The working group will define the requirements to provide these 
functions on two distinct network topologies: 

1. A single network segment, where all hosts are reachable by
   link-layer broadcast or multicast messages. 

2. A set of network segments, (on different IP subnetworks)
   interconnected by a single router. 

Automatic configuration of an arbitrary topology of routers and
subnets is out of the scope of the ZEROCONF WG charter. 

The working group will also define how such a network may           
automatically transition from 'configured' to 'unconfigured'        
behavior, as well as from 'unconfigured' to 'configured'.           
That is, the same hosts must be able to function on networks
with no configuration as well as be capable of direct IP
connectivity to the global Internet, including DNS entries
supplied through standard DNS services. It is also possible that
both modes (ZEROCONF and administered) may coexist on the same
network; the modes may not be exclusive of each other. 

When ZEROCONF networks or hosts which are configured using
ZEROCONF protocols are connected to the big 'I' internet,
they should not automatically become vulnerable to new
security threats. 

This WG will produce two documents. The first describes the 
requirements for the configuration (and security) services,
defaults, and mechanisms a node needs to fully participate on 
ZEROCONF networks and/or configured networks. The second, 
which follows the first, will detail a 'profile' specifying
which standards specifically satisfy ZEROCONF requirements. 

The WG will also produce protocol specifications for Automatic      
Address Configuration for IPv4 and a Multicast Address Allocation   
Protocol for IPv4 and IPv6.                                         

Goals and Milestones:

 Sep 00                                                             

        Submit internet-draft to be considered as an Informational 
        RFC on Requirements for Zero Configuration Networking.      

 Dec 00                                                             
                                                                    
        Submit Automatic Address Configuration for IPv4 to be       
        considered as a Standards Track RFC.                        
                                                                    
 Dec 00                                                             
                                                                    
        Submit Multicast Address Allocation Protocol for Zeroconf   
        Networks to be considered as a Standards Track RFC.         

 Mar 01                                                             
        
        Submit internet-draft to be considered as an Informational
        RFC on Host Profile for Zero Configuration Networking.