Subject: IPv4 Scoped Address Architecture

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 20:17:48 -0700

>There are serious implications which have to be worked out.
>Allowing both local and global configuration effectively means
>we have a scoped architecture (like IPv6).
>
>+ This is more complicated:  It leads to a scoped
>  address architecture, as per IPv6:

I talked to Steve Deering about this and he said that the problem with 
IPv6 scoped addresses is knowing the scope of site-local addresses, 
especially on multi-homed hosts that may have two interfaces that may or 
may not be in the same site.

As long as the scope is just one of two cases -- either "link-local" or 
"everything else" -- he said it should not be too hard.

Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
 * Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Computer

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 06:36:37 -0400

> "everything else" -- he said it should not be too hard.

It also helps if a host has only one interface, i.e., is NOT
multihomed. For multihomed hosts, you run into the problem that when
sending to a particular given link-local address, you don't know which
interface to send the packet out on.

Thomas