Subject: draft-cheshire-ipv4-linklocal-00.txt

From: "Valery Smyslov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 16:48:20 +0400

Hi,

I have some doubts whether configuration with hosts having same IP 
addresses on the different links described on page 7 (figure 2) is 
workable. The problem is that even TCP connections can unambiguously 
be distinguished in this case by the source and destination addresses 
and port numbers, the outgoing interface for packets leaving host A 
will still be determined using destination IP address only (by 
consulting host's A routing table) in IP stacks exploiting "weak end 
system" model (in RFC1122 terms). So, host A will always send its 
packets destined to address R to only one host, either B or C 
depending on its routing table content and independent on which 
interface packets from R were received and to which address, P or Q 
they were destined. 

This configuration might work with "strong end system" model, but it 
is a bit different than simply distinguishing TCP connections based 
on both local and remote addresses and ports and, I think, it should 
be mentioned in the draft. BTW, most of OS I am aware about exploit 
"weak end system" model.

Sorry if this was discussed before.

Regards,
Valera.