Subject: linklocal + DHCP servers

From: Jason Goldschmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 17:15:20 -0400 (EDT)

When a DHCP server comes up on a zeroconf network, are link-local
configured devices considered as configured devices to the DHCP server? 

Or in other words:  There is a zeroconf device that has configured itself
w/ a link-local address. Can that device, send a DHCPREQUEST for its
link-local address? And if so, what should the DHCP server do with that
address request?

A server might want to allow the zeroconf device to keep the address and
then respond w/ additional configuration information in the subsequent
DHCPACK.  Though, doing so would still bring up the problems that Bernard
just mentioned about NATing for link-local addresses. 

Thanks, 

-Jason 

*************************************)
Jason Goldschmidt  [email-masked] *)
http://coral.bucknell.edu/~jgoldsch *)
"My Reality Check Bounced"          *)
                -Scott Adams        *)
*************************************)

---

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 12:39:03 -0700

In the existing specification, the zeroconf device will send
out a DHCPDISCOVER (not a DHCPREQUEST because it did not acquire
its address from the DHCP server and doesn't even know its address). 
If it finds a DHCP server it will obtain an IP address. This 
address MUST NOT be in the zeroconf prefix 169.254/16.