Subject: Zeroconf security

From: Steve Hanna <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 09:18:41 -0500

I would like to comment on one of the open issues Erik Guttman recently
posted:

- Is 0 admin, 0 security OK or is this "punting?"

IMHO, leaving security out of zeroconf networking would be similar to
building a car with no locks. It's an invitation for mischief and a
dangerous thing.

Perhaps you'll say "But zero config is only for home systems and small
business. What harm will it do to leave out security?"

Pranksters will flip on people's alarm clocks at 2:00 AM. Peeping toms
will flip on lights at inappropriate times. Criminals will drive down
the street, opening doors and disabling alarms. And vandals may even
burn down houses by repeatedly triggering the self-clean cycle on ovens.

OK, maybe things won't be so bad. But we have an obligation to build
secure protocols. If a user doesn't want to use security, they don't
have to. But we have to build it in as an option.

Security MUST be included in all zeroconf protocols, it MUST be
mandatory to implement (although it can be off by default), and it MUST
be easy to use. I recognize that security can never be truly zeroconf.
But we can get pretty close (I'd be glad to elaborate, if you like).

Comments?

Steve

---

From: Daniel Senie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 16:36:44 -0500

> But we can get pretty close (I'd be glad to elaborate, if you like).

I'd like an explanation of how you intend to implement security
(certificates, etc.) in a zeroconf network. The problem you get into is
that this requires configuration. It's that configuration requirement
which runs counter to zeroconf.

It is NOT clear that there is a need or desire to run secure protocols
in this case.

It is my contention that anyone requiring secure protocols and the like
can implement configured (not zeroconf) networks, and implement the
security as needed in that context. I'm not convinced we need to
reinvent all of that in zeroconf.

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Daniel Senie                                        [email-masked]
Amaranth Networks Inc.                    http://www.amaranth.com