Subject: zero configuration open issues

From: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 14:06:30 +0100 (MET)

I'm including a list of what, IMO, are the open issues for the ZeroConf WG.
Please send comments - and help to do the work to resolve the issues. 

  Host configuration - REVIEW OF REQTS DOC NEEDED.
    - Is there a requirement that topology changes are detected?
      There was discussion of this on the list.
    - How do router advert detections fit in?  How should hosts behave
      differently?

  Malloc - INPUT FOR REQTS DOC NEEDED.
    - What are the specific requirements?  (can we extract them from
      draft-thaler-zeroconf-multicast-00.txt?)  

  multicast name to address resolution - INPUT FOR REQTS DOC NEEDED.
    - What are the specific requirements for name to address resolution?
      Is this a no-brainer - Shouldn't hosts support a stub server which
      replies to multicast dns requests for their name?  What are the other
      requirements?

  Service Discovery - REVIEW OF REQTS DOC NEEDED.
    - has the list of requirements been over constrained (to sound like
      SLP)?  Are there other requirements or fewer ones?  
     
  Security - REVIEW OF REQTS DOC NEEDED.
    - Is 0 admin, 0 security OK or is this "punting?"
    - Transitioning to 'configured/administered networks' what security
      support should be described in the requirements doc?  Currently
      Reqts, Sec. 4.2 lists DNSsec, DHCP auth, MADCAP security and service 
      discovery (SLP?) security as "MUST support these protocols if 
      configured to do so."  This is a heavy requirement.  What is more
      appropriate?  SHOULD?  MAY?  Silence?
    - Is it possible to have one configuration element to configure all ZC
      protocols.  One idea is something similar to dhcp authentication where
      each server/client has a unique key pair which can be derived by the use
      of one master key and a unique id per client. (see appendix A of 
      draft-ietf-dhc-authentication-12.txt). 

  IPv6 - INPUT FOR REQTS DOC NEEDED.
    - which ZC requirements are different for IPv6?  The draft is pretty
      silent to IPv6 issues and some of the requirements may be IPv4-
      specific.  
    - Suggestion:  One requirements doc followed by two profile documents.

Erik