Subject: FW: IPP> Service Location for printers - SLP template review

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 14:44:05 -0800

Hi folks,

I just subscribed to IETF ZeroConf WG and found a problem:

I just visited your email archives and noticed that my
original note (below) was never forwarded on the ZeroConf
list - don't know why - I never got a non-delivery notice.

The original note below is partially 'old news'.  Since
then, the IETF IPP WG has finished their final review of
the SLP 'printer:' template and I've sent the final edits
to the Internet-Drafts editor (yesterday).

I've appended my release note yesterday to the foot of this
message.  Comments are always welcome, but the IETF IPP WG
reached concensus that it was time to register the 1.0 version
of SLP 'printer:' and move on.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (consulting architect at Sharp Labs America
  High North Inc

-----Original Message-----
From: McDonald, Ira [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2000 3:24 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Cc: [email-masked]'; McDonald, Ira
Subject: IPP> Service Location for printers - SLP template review

Hi Zeroconf folks,                    Wednesday (19 January 2000)

I've just been reading with pleasure the newest (10 January 2000)
Zeroconf Requirements, draft-ietf-zeroconf-reqts-02.txt.  The 
references to SLPv2 (RFC 2608) and printer discovery scenarios
led me to forward for your comments the following:

    draft-ietf-svrloc-printer-scheme-04.txt
    - Definition of 'printer:' URLs for use with SLP 
      (21 October 1999)

The abstract 'printer:' service template will be registered with IANA
in the very near future.  I did the October 1999 updates to align
the template with the final texts of the IPP/1.1 (Internet Printing
Protocol v1.1) from June 1999 which are 'standards track' (IPP/1.0
is Experimental, largely because it overloaded 'http:' URLs rather
than using a dedicated 'ipp:' URL).

The IETF IPP WG is now doing a final review of the SLP 'printer:'
template.  Harry Lewis (IBM) and I are currently collaborating to
translate the SLP 'printer:' template to an equivalent LDAP schema,
also for IANA registration, following the procedures in:

    draft-ietf-svrloc-template-conversion-05.txt
    - Conversion of LDAP Schemas to and from SLP Templates
      (22 October 1999)

Comments on the choice of template attributes from you folks would
be very welcome.  Please send comments to [email-masked]'.

Note that, in accordance with IETF SLP WG philosophy, we have *not*
included state/status attributes (because they are too volatile and
would therefore cause re-registration storms in SLP).

Comments received by mail by next Wednesday morning, will be reviewed
at the regular IETF IPP WG Telecon:

Time:     26 January 2000 10:00-12:00 US PST (1:00-3:00 US EST)
Phone:    888-749-8496
Passcode: 86037#

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (consulting architect at Sharp Labs America)
  (co-editor of SLP 'printer:' template)
  High North Inc
----------------------------------------------------------
[Release note for SLP 'printer:' v1.0 from 31 January 2000]

Copies: Erik Guttman <[email-masked]>
        Carl-Uno Manros <[email-masked]>
        SVRLOC WG <[email-masked]>
        IPP WG <[email-masked]>

Hi folks,                                       Monday (31 January 2000)

I've just sent the final version of 'Definition of the Printer Abstract
Service Type' to the Internet-Drafts editor and posted a shadow copy on
the PWG server at:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_SLP/draft-ietf-svrloc-printer-scheme-05.tx
t

Erik - please register this 'printer:' template with IANA - thanks.
Carl-Uno Manros (chair IETF IPP WG) wants this 'printer:' template
registered with IANA as soon as possible.

All changes from the previous (October 1999) draft are based on IETF IPP
WG reviews Wednesday (12 January 2000) and Wednesday (26 January 2000).

Harry Lewis (IBM) and I are working on an LDAP schema translation of
this template (following James Kempf's SLP to LDAP conversion spec).

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (consulting architect at Sharp Labs America)
  High North Inc
  [email-masked]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Changes from previous version (October 1999)

1)  Changed title to 'Definition of Printer Abstract Service Type'
    (per request of Ron Bergman, Hitachi)

2)  Changed 'template-version' attribute to '1.0'
    (for IANA-registered version of template)

3)  Corrected typo in 'hostname' element of 'template-url-syntax'
    (per request of Ron Bergman, Hitachi)

4)  Corrected typo in 'printer-uri-supported' attribute example
    (per request of Tom Hastings, Xerox)

5)  Revised 'printer-uri-supported', 'uri-authentication-supported', and
    'uri-security-supported' descriptions of use '>' in ordered lists
    (for clarity - no change in usage)

6)  Revised 'printer-location' attribute description to state that
    meaningful support is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED
    (per request of Tom Hastings, Xerox)

7)  Revised 'printer-location' attribute example
    (for clarity - no change in usage)

8)  Added new section 5.1 'Rationale for Required Attributes'
    (per IETF IPP WG review)

9)  Added new section 6.1 'Rationale for Optional Attributes'
    (per IETF IPP WG review)

10) Corrected contact info in section 13 'Authors Addresses'
    (for Ira McDonald's current email address)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copies: "Internet Drafts Editor" <[email-masked]>
        "Pete St. Pierre" <[email-masked]>
        "Ira McDonald" <[email-masked]>

I-D Editor,                                     Monday (31 January 2000)

SVRLOC:

Please place this document in the Internet-Drafts repository named:

    <draft-ietf-svrloc-printer-scheme-05.txt> (January 2000)

It replaces the previous:

    <draft-ietf-svrloc-printer-scheme-04.txt> (October 1999)

This draft has been updated based on the IETF IPP WG's final review of
the previous (October 1999) draft.  This draft is a conforming superset
of Appendix E 'Generic Directory Schema' in the IPP/1.1 Model,
<draft-ietf-ipp-model-v11-04.txt> (work-in-progress, June 1999).

Thanks very much,
- Ira McDonald (SVRLOC WG and IPP WG member)
  High North Inc
  [email-masked]

------------------------------------------------------------------------