Subject: [xml2rfc] Installing local copy on Fedora

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 13:12:11 -0400

With all the problems I am having with the online version, I decided to 
punt and actually install the local copy, but from back in June.

So I go to:

https://tools.ietf.org/tools/

And try going to:

https://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/tools/xml2rfc/version2/gui.tgz

link not found.  OK....

I try

https://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc2/

And see that only the cli is current.

I see an INSTALL, but this does NOT tell me where to untar the file to.  
As if we are suppose to know...

So help would be appreciated.

Bob

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 19:40:09 +0200

The short answer is

	pip install xml2rfc

Maybe we should make a go at cleaning up this forest of outdated misinformation...

Grüße, Carsten

> On Aug 24, 2017, at 19:12, Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> With all the problems I am having with the online version, I decided to punt and actually install the local copy, but from back in June.
> 
> So I go to:
> 
> I see an INSTALL, but this does NOT tell me where to untar the file to.  As if we are suppose to know...
> 
> _______________________________________________
> xml2rfc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc
>

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 19:54:34 +0200

Hi Bob,

Sorry.  I'll update the tools pages to point at the current canonical
download page for xml2rfc, which is this:

  https://pypi.python.org/pypi/xml2rfc/

You should be able to install by using the standard python install tool,
'pip':

  $ sudo pip install xml2rfc

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 19:55:00 +0200

Hi Carsten,

> Maybe we should make a go at cleaning up this forest of outdated misinformation...

Yes.  Doing that now.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 14:06:09 -0400

> 	pip install xml2rfc

$ pip install xml2rfc
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): xml2rfc in 
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): lxml>=2.2.8 in 
/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages (from xml2rfc)
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): 
requests>=2.5.0 in /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages (from xml2rfc)
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): 
urllib3==1.15.1 in /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages (from 
requests>=2.5.0->xml2rfc)
You are using pip version 8.0.2, however version 9.0.1 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'pip install --upgrade pip' command.

Do I run this as root?

> Maybe we should make a go at cleaning up this forest of outdated misinformation...

No maybe about it.

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 20:15:14 +0200

On Aug 24, 2017, at 20:06, Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): xml2rfc in /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages
> Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): lxml>=2.2.8 in /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages (from xml2rfc)
> Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): requests>=2.5.0 in /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages (from xml2rfc)
> Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): urllib3==1.15.1 in /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages (from requests>=2.5.0->xml2rfc)

(Depends on operating system and method of Python installation.)
Probably, given the pathnames in the informational messages.

The interesting observation is that you were done before you started: xml2rfc (probably an older version) is already installed.

But maybe you want to upgrade:

> sudo pip install --upgrade pip
> sudo pip install —-upgrade xml2rfc

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 14:22:59 -0400

> But maybe you want to upgrade:

Considering that I believe the current online version is broken????

I am working on a Fedora 26 system.  Brand new install on an ARM 
(Cubieboard2).  No floating around cruft.  Sometimes I can make and 
addition and it works, and sometimes not.  I have 2 authors in the 
stub.  I add the third author, there is nothing to note about the 
content of the block.  It fails.

I have an empty section.  I add one test block.  It fails.

So something is seriously wrong since I last used it during the pre-IETF 
crunch.

So now I have to figure out how to run the installed version...

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 14:35:19 -0400

>    $ sudo pip install xml2rfc

# pip install xml2rfc

How do I get it to the version 2.6.1, I am assuming that was what was 
running online prior to IETF.