Subject: [xml2rfc] #330 (xml2rfc.tcl): [XML2RFC] Wrong formatting for draft reference

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 13:23:54 -0000

#330: [XML2RFC] Wrong formatting for draft reference

 This xml
  <t hangText="I (LSP-INSTANTIATION-CAPABILITY - 1 bit):"> defined in
   <xref target="I-D.ietf-pce-pce-initiated-lsp" pageno="false"
 format="default" />.
   </t>

 leads to -

    I (LSP-INSTANTIATION-CAPABILITY - 1 bit):  defined in [I-D.ietf-pce-p
       ce-initiated-lsp].

 Which breaks the reference in two lines.

 This leads to idnits issue -

 Unused Reference: 'I-D.ietf-pce-pce-initiated-lsp' is defined on line
      890, but no explicit reference was found in the
      text
      '[I-D.ietf-pce-pce-initiated-lsp] Crabbe, E., Minei, I., Sivabalan,
 S...'

 Because the reference cannot be found by the idnits tool.

 I manually update the text to -

    I (LSP-INSTANTIATION-CAPABILITY - 1 bit):  defined in
       [I-D.ietf-pce-pce-initiated-lsp].

 For things to work!

 I guess xml2rfc should keep the reference in one line together!

-- 
----------------------------------+-------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:
     Type:  defect                |     Status:  new
 Priority:  minor                 |  Milestone:
Component:  xml2rfc.tcl           |    Version:  2.4.x
 Keywords:  reference, wordwrap   |
----------------------------------+-------------------

Ticket URL: <https://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/330>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 10:32:26 -0500

>  Which breaks the reference in two lines.

That's interesting in another way:  It looks like XML2RFC decided that
it had to split a word, but it didn't notice that the "word",
"[I-D.ietf-pce-pce-initiated-lsp]", had hyphens in it.  And when it
comes to word-splitting, you should split a word after an internal
hyphen if you can.

Dale

---

From: "xml2rfc issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 15:45:34 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 FWIW, I don't believe we should spend any cycles on improving the plain
 text output.

-- 
-----------------------------------+---------------------------------
  Reporter:  [email-masked]  |      Owner:
      Type:  defect                |     Status:  new
  Priority:  minor                 |  Milestone:
 Component:  xml2rfc.tcl           |    Version:  2.4.x
Resolution:                        |   Keywords:  reference, wordwrap
-----------------------------------+---------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/330#comment:1>
xml2rfc <http://tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/>