Subject: Re: [xml2rfc] Problem with generated boilerplate for HTML output

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 10:56:05 +0100

On 2012-11-01 05:54, "Martin J. Dürst" wrote:
> ...
> The name of the property may indeed be somewhat misleading. Fortunately,
> there isno need to be overly sceptical. The spec says:
>
> nowrap
>       This value collapses white space as for 'normal',
>       but suppresses line breaks within text.
>
> It says "line breaks within text", not "line breaks at whitespace", so
> it should be what we need. Testing with the attached file in the five
> major browsers I have at hand here confirms this nicely.
> ...

Ack.

That being said, as far as I can tell, the code in xml2rfc actually 
tries to do the reverse: make sure that the URI can be broken across 
lines in certain positions.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: "Martin J. Dürst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 10:02:34 +0900

> lines in certain positions.

Are you saying this based on other parts of the code? Or on how it 
worked previously? Or because that's what you think it should do?

If the purpose is adding breakpoints, U+2060, which is explicitly a 
*non*-breaking space, is definitely the wrong thing to do. Something 
like U+200B, ZERO WIDTH SPACE, would be the way to go. But I still think 
using such characters is the wrong way to go, because it breaks 
copy-paste. Also, for HTML, I think introducing linebreaks in URIs/IRIs 
is not a good idea. For plaintext, that's different; there's simply no 
way to put an 80-char URI into a 72 column plaintext document.

Regards,    Martin.