Subject: [xml2rfc] whitespace handling

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 16:36:11 -0600

I'm writing some text about handling of whitespace in a protocol, and
I'd like to include inline examples with more than one space character
in a row, e.g., a sentence that has "foo  " with two spaces. In the
txt output, the two space characters get reduced to one. Is there a
way to control this in a <t/> element, or only in <artwork/>? (It
seems not, so I might simply remove the inline examples.)

Peter

- -- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 20:39:23 -0400

I think your protocol description would be clearer anyway if you used _
or something in place of the whitespace.

-- 
Michael Richardson
-on the road-

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 18:57:42 -0600

> or something in place of the whitespace.

Yeah, I think you're right.

Peter

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2012 14:01:06 +0100

> Yeah, I think you're right.

As a matter of fact, this is a case where non-ASCII characters (in the 
new format) might help (see for instance 
<http://xahlee.blogspot.de/2011/11/unicode-character-for-space.html>).

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2012 21:12:02 -0600

> Yeah, I think you're right.

I have learned from Alice Russo that you can use &nbsp; to include
multiple instances of ASCII space within a <t/> element in xml2rfc.

Thanks, Alice!

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: "Martin J. Dürst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 10:51:53 +0900

> <http://xahlee.blogspot.de/2011/11/unicode-character-for-space.html>).

Well, yes, up to the point where people want to copy/paste the example :-(.

Regards,   Martin.