Subject: [xml2rfc] widows and orphans

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 12:54:22 -1000

using python, same document 

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE rfc SYSTEM "rfc2629.dtd">
<?rfc compact="no"?>
<?rfc subcompact="no"?>
<?rfc inline="yes"?>
<?rfc sortrefs="yes"?>
<?rfc symrefs="yes"?>
<?rfc toc="yes"?>
<?rfc tocdepth="5"?>
<?rfc tocindent="yes"?>
<?rfc tocompact="yes"?>

i get

---

   The second octet of the Attribute Flags, Attribute Type, MUST be set
   to 0xXX, as assigned by the IANA, see Section 8, to signal that this

Bush, et al.             Expires April 02, 2013                 [Page 3]

Internet-Draft Authenticating L3VPN Origination Signaling   October 2012

   is an L3OPA.

---

and this

   The digest algorithm for the specified Algorithm Suite is applied to
   the catenation of the NLRI and the Key Identifier.  This is then fed
   to the signature algorithm for the specified algorithm suite and the
   resulting value is the compared with the Signature.

Bush, et al.             Expires April 02, 2013                 [Page 4]

Internet-Draft Authenticating L3VPN Origination Signaling   October 2012

   If the signature value matches the Signature in the attribute, the
   route is marked as Valid, otherwise it is marked as Invalid.

---

randy

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 13:05:58 -1000

the macos app does not produce the same strangeness.  but it does break
the copyright notice over two lines which causes tools upload to whine
about idnits.

randy

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 21:39:22 -0400

On 10/20/2012 6:54 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
> ...

One of the improvements I'd love to see made to xml2rfc is in how it 
handles widows and orphans. This is one of the steps that the RFC Editor 
currently does by hand during their final post processing step.

     Tony Hansen

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 08:45:33 -0400

> currently does by hand during their final post processing step.

Is there a list of the changes made by the RFC Editor, which xml2rfc 
can't do?

That list would constitute a kind of work order for the package, to make 
it possible to generate an actual RFC from xml.

d/

-- 
  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking
  bbiw.net

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 18:03:10 -0400

On 10/21/2012 8:45 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:
> That list would constitute a kind of work order for the package, to 
> make it possible to generate an actual RFC from xml.

I've talked with Alice and Sandy a few times about the shortcomings of 
xml2rfc from the Rfc Editor point of view. But I've never seen such a 
list committed to screen.

     Tony Hansen

---

From: Alice Russo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 12:07:19 -0400

Dave, Tony,

The placement of page breaks is the primary one.

Over a year ago, we documented items that would be an improvement on xml2rfc v1; these were input to the xml2rfc v2 RFP. Since the development of v2, we've been testing it and reporting various issues in the issue tracker (20+, which have been addressed by the developer - http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/report/6). After xml.resource.org posts v2 as beta, we will provide information on the rfc-interest list regarding the RFC Production Center's transition to v2. As we gain more experience with v2, we will continue to add issues to the issue tracker and hopefully get to the point that manual tweaks are not needed.

Thank you.

Alice Russo
RFC Production Center

On Oct 21, 2012, at 6:03 PM, Tony Hansen wrote:

>> Is there a list of the changes made by the RFC Editor, which xml2rfc can't do?
>> 
>> That list would constitute a kind of work order for the package, to make it possible to generate an actual RFC from xml.
> 
> I've talked with Alice and Sandy a few times about the shortcomings of xml2rfc from the Rfc Editor point of view. But I've never seen such a list committed to screen.
> 
>    Tony Hansen
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> xml2rfc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc
>