Subject: [xml2rfc] Trying to switch to strick checking, and problems with referenced file

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 12:43:26 -0400

I am to switch to strick checking via http://xml.resource.org/index.html 
and got the following error:

[Fatal Error] INPUT:45:4: The markup declarations contained or pointed 
to by the document type declaration must be well-formed.

That means, line 45, correct?  Well it is:

<!ENTITY RFC5702 SYSTEM 
"http://xml.resource.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.5702.xml" >

BTW, line 44 is:

<!-<!ENTITY RFC5639 SYSTEM 
"http://xml.resource.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.5639.xml" > 
brainpool ECC -->

I deleted line 44 and got past that error, so how SHOULD I comment out 
line 44?

---

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 12:51:18 -0400

How about just <-- RFC5639 --> ?

On 09/07/2012 12:43 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> xml2rfc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc
>

---

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 12:52:38 -0400

Oops, I mean <!-- RFC5639 -->

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 18:56:45 +0200

> I deleted line 44 and got past that error, so how SHOULD I comment out

By commenting out properly:

<!-- <!ENTITY RFC5639 SYSTEM 
"http://xml.resource.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.5639.xml" > 
brainpool ECC -->

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 13:08:03 -0400

> Oops, I mean <!-- RFC5639 -->

Just in case for some reason we add the reference back in, I guess.  
When it was decided to take the RFC out as a referenced it just seemed 
easier to turn it into a comment but leave the full line in.

BTW, I had an error with:

<!--<!ENTITY RFC5639 SYSTEM 
"http://xml.resource.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.5639.xml" > 
brainpool ECC -->

but not with:

Something about not liking -- in the comment (but I only had to change 
the first one, not the second).

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 13:11:59 -0400

> "http://xml.resource.org/public/rfc/bibxml/reference.RFC.5639.xml" > 

That gets the error:

[Fatal Error] INPUT:45:10: The string "--" is not permitted within comments.

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 19:23:04 +0200

> [Fatal Error] INPUT:45:10: The string "--" is not permitted within

That appears to be a bug in xml2rfc.tcl, then.

(It's correct that you can't have "--" inside the comment, but in this 
case it's not "inside")

-> http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 13:53:07 -0400

> That appears to be a bug in xml2rfc.tcl, then.

So you will fix this?

> -> http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/

Um, why did you include this URL?  It just leads to:

Welcome to the xml2rfc working space

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 20:01:05 +0200

>> That appears to be a bug in xml2rfc.tcl, then.

I'm not planning to. Reminder: xml2rfc.tcl is written in TCL and uses a 
custom SGML parser. It's a maintenance nightmare.

> Welcome to the xml2rfc working space

It's the issue tracker where you can report problems against the 
implementation.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 14:24:53 -0400

On 07/09/2012 02:01 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> I'm not planning to. Reminder: xml2rfc.tcl is written in TCL and uses 
> a custom SGML parser. It's a maintenance nightmare.

I did TCL once upon a time, like '94 on a Telebit NetBlazer.  Fun 
stuff.  Not.

> It's the issue tracker where you can report problems against the 

OK.  Will get around to figuring it out.