Subject: [xml2rfc] Symbol list spacing

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 10:58:51 -0400 (EDT)

I'm going to guess that there's no (easy) way to suppress the double-space
between the symbol and the list element text, e.g.:

   -  Robust
   -  Efficient
   -  Fast

right? (Back to <artwork> for them, I guess...)

	Noel

---

From: Joe Abley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 11:05:51 -0400

> right? (Back to <artwork> for them, I guess...)

Seems to me that one of the advantages of having IETF documentation produced as structured (XML) documents is that we have a way to mine them which is independent of presentation. Another is that we retain the ability to change the presentation format (to a different publication format, or due to changed style guidelines) without having to substantially edit the source, which might cause editorial issues to be raised.

When I write I-Ds I try hard to avoid <artwork> elements for things that are not actually artwork for these reasons. The presentation style (to me) is less important than the content.

Joe

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 17:08:22 +0200

> between the symbol and the list element text, e.g.:

Yes.

> right? (Back to <artwork> for them, I guess...)

No. That makes it just harder for the RFC production center to convert 
to nroff; it probably is less work to just ask for less whitespace 
during AUTH48.

Optimally, we wouldn't waste our time with this; seriously. It should be 
up to the production center to figure out the right format, and they 
should do it consistently.

Best regards, Julian