Subject: [xml2rfc] Lists and sublists (nested lists)

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 04:01:30 -0300

Folks,

I'm trying to produce a list with a sub-list (i.e. a nested list). I was
expecting the following output:

---- cut here ----
   1.  FIRST ITEM

   2.  SECOND ITEM

   3.  THIRD ITEM

          One parenthetical note

       Now, the subitems:,

       A.  THIRD-ITEM, FIRST SUB-ITEM (3.A)

       B.  THIRD-ITEM, SECOND SUB-ITEM (3.B)

       C.  THIRD-ITEM, THIRD SUB-ITEM (3.B)
---- cut here ----

However, what I atually get is a sublist that starts with "B" (rather
than "A"), as in:

---- cut here ----
   1.  FIRST ITEM

   2.  SECOND ITEM

   3.  THIRD ITEM

          One parenthetical note

       Now, the subitems:,

       B.  THIRD-ITEM, FIRST SUB-ITEM (3.A)

       C.  THIRD-ITEM, SECOND SUB-ITEM (3.B)

       D.  THIRD-ITEM, THIRD SUB-ITEM (3.B)
---- cut here ----

Here's the code I'm using:

---- cut here ----
<list style="numbers">
<t> FIRST ITEM </t>

<t>SECOND ITEM</t>

<t>THIRD ITEM
   <list style="hanging">
   <t>One parenthetical note</t>
   </list>

   Now, the subitems:,

   <list style="letters">
      <t>THIRD-ITEM, FIRST SUB-ITEM (3.A)</t>

      <t> THIRD-ITEM, SECOND SUB-ITEM (3.B) </t>

      <t>THIRD-ITEM, THIRD SUB-ITEM (3.B)</t>

   </list>
</t>

</list>
---- cut here ---

FWIW, what seems to be screwing things up is the "parenthetical note".
If I remove it, I get the expected numbering (i.e., starting with "A",
rather than "B").

Any ideas on how to get the inner "numbering" right (without removing
the parenthetical note, of course)?

Thanks!

Best regards,
-- 
Fernando Gont
e-mail: [email-masked] || [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 7809 84F5 322E 45C7 F1C9 3945 96EE A9EF D076 FFF1

---

From: Miek Gieben <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 09:28:41 +0200

[ Quoting <[email-masked]> in "[xml2rfc] Lists and sublists (neste..." ]
>       <t>THIRD-ITEM, THIRD SUB-ITEM (3.B)</t>

Drop the hanging list item and replace it with a vspace? 

    <list style="numbers">                                                                       
          <t>                                                                                           
                                                                                                        
              First Item                                                                                
                                                                                                        
          </t>                                                                                          
          <t>                                                                                           
                                                                                                        
              Second item                                                                               
                                                                                                        
          </t>                                                                                          
          <t>                                                                                           
                                                                                                        
              Third item                                                                                
                                                                                                        
            <vspace blankLines="1"/>                                                                    
              A paragraph that comes first                                                              
                                                                                                        
            <list style="letters">                                                                      
              <t>                                                                                       
                                                                                                        
                  But what do you know                                                                  
                                                                                                        
              </t>                                                                                      
              <t>                                                                                       
                                                                                                        
                  This is another list                                                                  
                                                                                                        
              </t>                                                                                      
            </list>                                                                                     
          </t>                                                                                          
        </list>

 Regards,

-- 
    Miek Gieben                                                   http://miek.nl

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 09:51:04 +0200

On 2012-06-05 09:01, Fernando Gont wrote:
> ...

That's a bug in xml2rfc.tcl; it works with rfc2629.xslt. You may want to 
open a big report (-> <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/>).

BTW: this is another case where a list container element would be 
useful. It would be great if we finally get back to enhancing the 
xml2rfc grammar :-)

Best regards, Julian