Subject: [xml2rfc] Using a "modern" word processor

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 08:12:20 +0100

>From the thread [rfc-i] Proposed new RFC submission requirements...

On 2012-05-24 21:53, Joe Touch wrote:
...
> The requirement for text allows multiple author formats. Allowing the
> current XML markup is an option because it allows xml2rfc-tools.
> 
> Forcing a particular markup has implications upstream for author tools.
> The markup chosen should be as agnostic to those tools as possible, and
> minimal to only those aspects the RFC Editor actually cares about.
> 
> I haven't seen a specific proposal for such a markup. I'll be glad to
> see if there's a way to support it in a modern word processor (e.g., MS
> Word) once there is.

I tried to edit an XML2RFC file using a reasonably modern version
of MS-Word and it half-worked by default, showing me the document
structure nicely, but it didn't show all the content (for example,
not the content of <xref> elements. When I tried to feed it with
rfc2629.xslt it complained about this and that (security, basically,
screen shots available). Does anybody know how to make that work
[on Windows]?

    Brian

---

From: Nico Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 11:17:58 -0500

I'm using LyX, a WYSIWYM GUI editor based on TeX.

I've written a lyx2rfc tool that uses XSLT 2.0 (specifically the Saxon
XSLT 2.0 processor) to convert LyX XHTML output to xml2rfc schema,
then xml2rfc to format the I-D.

You can find lyx2rfc here: [email-masked]:nicowilliams/lyx2rfc
(https://github.com/nicowilliams/lyx2rfc).  Included are screenshots
and a sample I-D.  Most of the xml2rfc functionality is supported; a
handful of features are missing:

 - table column width specifications (but I think I'll add that eventually)
 - cref
 - iref

xrefs are supported, and actually easy to use.

Nico
--