Subject: [xml2rfc] How do I get a local xml2rfc install to find my local copy of the citation library?

From: Keith Hazelton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 12:13:41 -0500

I'm running xml2rfc locally on a Mac OS 10.6 host and I have downloaded the
RFC citation library.  The citations are now in a folder, bibxml, in the
same directory as my source .xml file AND another copy of bibxml is in the
same directory as the xml2rfc executable.

When I run xml2rfc with an xml input file that contains the following:

    <note title="Requirements Language">
      <t>The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
      "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
      document are to be interpreted as described in <xref
      target="RFC2119">RFC 2119</xref>.</t>
    </note>

I get 'unable to find external file "reference.RFC.2119.xml" or
"reference.RFC.2119.xml.xml"'

How do I let xml2rfc know where the citation file is to be found?

P.S. This source file converts properly and without error using the online
xml2rfc service.

       Thanks in advance for your help,  --Keith
_______________________
Keith Hazelton ([email-masked])
UW-Madison; Internet2 MACE

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 09:31:21 +0200

On 04/07/2012 07:13 PM, Keith Hazelton wrote:
> I'm running xml2rfc locally on a Mac OS 10.6 host and I have 
> downloaded the RFC citation library.  The citations are now in a 
> folder, bibxml, in the same directory as my source .xml file AND 
> another copy of bibxml is in the same directory as the xml2rfc 
> executable.
>

I use the following Makefile fragment:

xml2rfc=/home/hta/xml2rfc-1.36/xml2rfc.tcl

%.txt: %.xml
         export XML_LIBRARY=references; unset DISPLAY; $(xml2rfc) $<

%.html: %.xml
         export XML_LIBRARY=references; unset DISPLAY; $(xml2rfc) $< $@

The "XML_LIBRARY" envariable is the one that points out where my 
references live.