Subject: Re: [xml2rfc] sections before references in back matter

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 11:07:16 +0200 (MESZ)

The "current" (February 28, 2008) version of the
"unofficial successor" of RFC 2629 pointed to from the xml2rfc
home page,
  <http://xml.resource.org/authoring/draft-mrose-writing-rfcs.html>

contains in "Appendix B. The DTD" :

| <!--
|   revised DTD for the RFC document series, draft of 2008-02-01
| -->
...

| <!-- later on, may be (section+,appendix*,section*) -->
| <!ELEMENT middle      (section+)>

...

Notably, the July 22, 2006 version of the same document already said:

| <!--
|   revised DTD for the RFC document series, draft of 2002-01-20
| -->
...

| <!ELEMENT middle      (section+,appendix*,section*)>

Wouldn't that solve the problem of having Appendices before the
References?

However, I personally would suggest that having <section>s after
an <appendix> would likely be confusing, so maybe ...

| <!ELEMENT middle      (section+,appendix*)>

... might be a better choice.

Kind regards,
  Alfred Hönes.

-- 

+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| TR-Sys Alfred Hoenes   |  Alfred Hoenes   Dipl.-Math., Dipl.-Phys.  |
| Gerlinger Strasse 12   |  Phone: (+49)7156/9635-0, Fax: -18         |
| D-71254  Ditzingen     |  E-Mail:  [email-masked]                     |
+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 12:34:22 +0200

Seems I have a MUA problem (TB 12????). Testing...

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 12:39:33 +0200

> Seems I have a MUA problem (TB 12????). Testing...

OK, dunno what's going on.

Getting back on-topic:

<appendix> is deprecated. A <section> becomes an appendix by being below 
<back>.

We could relax the DTD, but I wouldn't want to allow references 
*between* appendices. So a PI that controls placement of the references 
seems easier to me.

Best regards, Julian