Subject: [xml2rfc] reference.RFC.2507.xml broken (not valid)

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 09:00:35 +0100

The reference file mentioned above has two email addresses for one of 
the authors, which breaks formatting in "strict" mode.

This seems to be on purpose; the RFC indeed specifies two comma, 
separated addresses.

We either need to fix the generation script, or xml2rfc's DTD.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 08:53:48 -0800

On Feb 10, 2012, at 12:00 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> The reference file mentioned above has two email addresses for one of the authors, which breaks formatting in "strict" mode.
> 
> This seems to be on purpose; the RFC indeed specifies two comma, separated addresses.
> 

I would prefer to fix the DTD; there are (outlier) real reasons to have two email addresses for some authors. No big deal either way, though.

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 18:22:51 +0100

> I would prefer to fix the DTD; there are (outlier) real reasons to have two email addresses for some authors. No big deal either way, though.

Agreed. (-> <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/36>)

I recall that this topic has come up before, but back then we decided to 
wait for the rewrite.

Speaking of which: is the rewrite done? Who's in charge of the DTD nowadays?

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 15:18:53 +0100

Hi Julian,

> Speaking of which: is the rewrite done? Who's in charge of the DTD nowadays?

The rewrite has been done.

>From the front page of tools.ietf.org:

  _Draft TXT and HTML from XML source (xml2rfc) _

  xml2rfc will allow you to take your XML source (using the format defined in
  RFC  2629 and its unofficial successor) and generate well-formatted text and
  html versions of drafts from it.

  Version 2 of xml2rfc is a complete rewrite in Python. You can get the source
  of the command-line tool here: 
    http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/tools/xml2rfc/version2/cli.tgz
  and download it for installation from the Python Package Index (PyPi):
    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/xml2rfc/

  The GUI source is here:
    http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/tools/xml2rfc/version2/gui.tgz .
  We don't have a repository of packages for the GUI yet, but will set that up
  during March 2012. 

I would expect the group that did the admirable work on keeping the old
version running till we could get the new version in place to now consider
updates to the DTD, but I realize there hasn't been any kind of decision
to carry on that way.  Maybe it's time to start looking forward again?

Best regards,

	Henrik