Subject: [xml2rfc-dev] Weird formatting of list in presence of XML comments

From: Christian Huitema <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 17:02:56 -0800

I just submitted
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnssd-prireq-04.txt, and
I am surprised by the text rendering section 4.1. It looks like:

4.1.  Private Client Requirements

   For all three scenarios described in Section 3.1, client privacy
   requires DNS-SD messages to:

   1.  Avoid disclosure of the client's identity, either directly or via
       inference, to nodes other than select servers.

   1.

   2.  Avoid exposure of linkable identifiers that allow tracing client
       devices.

   2.

   3.  Avoid disclosure of the client's interest in specific service
       instances or service types to nodes other than select servers.

   3.

   Listing and resolving services via DNS-SD, clients typically disclose
   their interest in specific services types and specific instances of
   these types, respectively.

Notice the extra "1.", "2.", "3."? Before submission, I tested the XML
input against https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/cgi-bin/xml2rfc.cgi, and
there was no issue. The text rendering, as expected, was:

4.1.  Private Client Requirements

   For all three scenarios described in Section 3.1, client privacy
   requires DNS-SD messages to:

   1.  Avoid disclosure of the client's identity, either directly or via
       inference, to nodes other than select servers.

   2.  Avoid exposure of linkable identifiers that allow tracing client
       devices.

   3.  Avoid disclosure of the client's interest in specific service
       instances or service types to nodes other than select servers.

   Listing and resolving services via DNS-SD, clients typically disclose
   their interest in specific services types and specific instances of
   these types, respectively.

The input is an XML2RFC V2 file. The relevant section is:

  <section title="Private Client Requirements">
    <t>
      For all three scenarios described in <xref target="scenarios" />,
client privacy
      requires DNS-SD messages to:
      <list style="numbers">
        <t>
          Avoid disclosure of the client's identity, either directly or
via inference,
          to nodes other than select servers.
          <!-- (violated by typical queries, and badly designed privacy
extensions, e.g., via badly used hints) -->
        </t>
        <t>
          Avoid exposure of linkable identifiers that allow tracing
client devices.
          <!-- (violated by typical queries, and badly designed privacy
extensions, e.g., via badly used hints) -->
        </t>
        <t>
          Avoid disclosure of the client's interest in specific service
instances or service types to
          nodes other than select servers.
          <!-- (violated by PTR, TXT, SRV queries) -->
        </t>
      </list>
    </t>
    <t>
      Listing and resolving services via DNS-SD, clients typically
disclose their interest in
      specific services types and specific instances of these types,
respectively.
    </t>

I suspect that the XML comments are tripping some bug. I will remove
them in the next iteration of the draft, but I wonder whether that's a
bug that should be fixed.

-- Christian Huitema

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 16:52:05 +0100

Hi Christian,

> I am surprised by the text rendering section 4.1. It looks like:

This is indeed a bug.  It doesn't appear in a straightforward invocation
of xml2rfc with your xml input file, though, so it will take a bit of
debugging to pinpoint the circumstances that caused it.

Regards,

	Henrik

> _______________________________________________
> xml2rfc-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc-dev
>