Subject: [xml2rfc-dev] New xml2rfc release: v2.15.3

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2018 06:25:37 -0800

Hi,

This is an automatic notification about a new xml2rfc release, 
v2.15.3, generated when running the mkrelease script.

Release notes:

xml2rfc (2.15.3) ietf; urgency=medium

  This release fixes some issues found when running the html renderer over
  a corpus of all drafts submitted with xml format over the last 30 days,
  and an installation issue.

  * Handled utf-8 reloading in setup.py under py27 without using six, which 
    might be unavailable before the installation completes.

  * Always convert python lists to comma-separated strings before calling 
    on i18n address validation.

  * Added some guards to prevent operations on None.

 -- Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>  05 Dec 2018 14:21:08 +0000

The preferred way to install xml2rfc is by doing 'pip install xml2rfc',
and 'pip install --upgrade xml2rfc' to upgrade.  If there are system-
installed python modules which pip will not upgrade, you may have to
use 'pip install --upgrade --no-deps xml2rfc' and install dependencies
manually.

The new version is also available through SVN checkout, with
  'svn checkout http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/tools/xml2rfc/tags/cli/2.15.3'

Regards,

	Henrik
	(via the mkrelease script)

---

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2018 03:31:31 +0300

> v2.15.3, generated when running the mkrelease script.

thanks for this, Henrik!  i note that v2.15.2 and v2.15.3 both shipped
xml2rfc/data/xml2rfc.css~ -- this is presumably an "emacs turd" (a
backup file automatically created by the text editor).  It's a bit noisy
to have these temporary files introduced and then removed from tarball
to tarball.  Maybe the mkrelease script (or whatever builds the
tarballs) could avoid packaging backup files?

perhaps passing  --exclude='*~' to tar would do the trick (i don't know
where the mkrelease script lives).

Thanks for your ongoing maintenance of xml2rfc!

       --dkg

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2018 08:00:20 +0100

Hi Daniel,

On 2018-12-07 01:31, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> backup file automatically created by the text editor).

Yes, of course it is.  Oh, poo!

>  It's a bit noisy
> to tarball.

Indeed.

> Maybe the mkrelease script (or whatever builds the

Yes, but not only that; I'll have the mkrelease script stop if it sees one
of these, as it's an indication that there could be an unsaved buffer in
the editor.  It wasn't so in this case; I checked just now, but it could
be.

> Thanks for your ongoing maintenance of xml2rfc!

And thank you for your always good-natured and to-the-point feedback! :-)

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: "HANSEN, TONY L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2018 14:49:16 +0000

The *~ is an indication that a file was edited and saved. They SHOULD be able to be safely ignored.

BUT if you found a file with a name that started with a # character, THEN you should check for an unsaved buffer.

	Tony

On 12/7/18, 2:00 AM, "xml2rfc-dev on behalf of Henrik Levkowetz" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    Hi Daniel,
    
...

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2018 16:19:40 +0100

Hi Tony,

On 2018-12-07 15:49, HANSEN, TONY L wrote:
> BUT if you found a file with a name that started with a # character,
> THEN you should check for an unsaved buffer.

You're right, of course.  My situation is the result of tweaking the settings.

My 'Emacs' is actually an Emacs clone (Lugaru Epsilon) which I started using
on DOS systems at the end of the 80s, when Emacs wasn't available on all
systems I worked on.  Since Epsilon was, I could keep a consistent set of
bindings, extensions, etc.  With Epsilon, the default auto-save name is
"#%f.asv#", I think, but I found that annoying at some point, so changed it
to what I still use today; "%f~".  I've used that so long I didn't even recall
that I'd tweaked it.  Sorry for the inadvertent misinformation (even if it
was locally applicable).

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: "HANSEN, TONY L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2018 17:58:47 +0000

Yeah, with local configurations, all bets are off.

Cheers!

	Tony

On 12/7/18, 10:20 AM, "Henrik Levkowetz" <[email-masked]> wrote:

    Hi Tony,

    

    Best regards,
    
    	Henrik