Subject: [xml2rfc-dev] RFC 7991 issue #47: Schema Issue, RFC 7991, In Section 2.32, <name>

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2018 07:46:30 -0700

This captures an issue noted during implementation, also described in
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-levkowetz-xml2rfc-v3-implementation#section-3.1.7

Specification: https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7991#section-2.32

---
In Section 2.32, <name>

   So the <name> element can contain text or <tt>, and <tt> can contain
   other markup like <sub> and <sup> etc., but why cannot <name> contain
   <sup> etc.  directly?

   Proposal:        Change the <name> element schema to permit all inline
                    elements that <tt> can contain, in addition to <tt>.

   Implementation:  Not changed in the current version of xml2rfc.
                    Implementing this would be a simple matter of changing
                    the v3 schema; no formatter changes would be needed.
---

Regards,
	Henrik

---
This issue is tracked at:
   https://github.com/rfc-format/draft-iab-xml2rfc-v3-bis/issues/47

Discussion should take place on this list.

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2018 17:11:47 +0200

>                      elements that <tt> can contain, in addition to <tt>.

+1 in general (but we should double-check that none of the additional 
elements will cause weirdness in titles...)

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2018 17:52:12 +0200

Hi Julian,

> elements will cause weirdness in titles...)

Would not that already be an issue if one of the elements that would be
used directly within <name> with this change were used within <tt> within
<name> with the earlier schema?

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Jim Schaad <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2018 09:41:23 -0700

> -----Original Message-----
> From: xml2rfc-dev <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Julian
> Reschke
> Sent: Monday, October 8, 2018 8:12 AM
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [xml2rfc-dev] RFC 7991 issue #47: Schema Issue, RFC 7991, In
> Section 2.32, <name>
> 

+1

Jim

> Best regards, Julian
> 
> _______________________________________________
> xml2rfc-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc-dev

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2018 20:03:12 +0200

On 2018-10-08 17:52, Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
> ...

Yes.

Best regards, Julian