Subject: [xml2rfc-dev] Question about RFC 7992, Section 6.4

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 18:21:59 +0200

The document says:

---
6.4.  Page Headers and Footers

   In order to simplify printing by HTML renderers that implement
   [W3C.WD-css3-page-20130314], a hidden HTML <table> tag of class
   "ears" is added at the beginning of the HTML <body> tag, containing
   HTML <thead> and <tfoot> tags, each of which contains an HTML <tr>
   tag, which contains three HTML <td> tags with class "left", "center",
   and "right", respectively.

   The <thead> corresponds to the top of the page, the <tfoot> to the
   bottom.  The string "[Page]" can be used as a placeholder for the
   page number.  In practice, this must always be in the <tfoot>'s right
   <td>, and no control of the formatting of the page number is implied.

   <table class="ears">
     <thead>
       <tr>
         <td class="left">Internet-Draft</td>
         <td class="center">HTML RFC</td>
         <td class="right">March 2016</td>
       </tr>
     </thead>
     <tfoot>
       <tr>
         <td class="left">Hildebrand</td>
         <td class="center">Expires September 2, 2016</td>
         <td class="right">[Page]</td>
       </tr>
     </tfoot>
   </table>
---

... and?

Is the formatter expected to fill out the cells, based on the pattern above,
or is that supposed to happen magically based on WD-css3-page-20130314 ?

If the cell content is supposed to be provided by the formatter, I'd
like to have a bit more specification than the example above; if not, it
would be nice for that to be stated explicitly.

THe mention of the '[Page]' placeholder could be taken as an indication
that all cell content shown are placeholders, but ... ?

Regards,

	Henrik