Subject: Re: [xml2rfc-dev] Lost feature: ability to set list indentation

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2017 15:18:58 +0200

On 2017-06-30 18:57, Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
> In RFC 7991, I find this under 3.4.  <list>:
> 
> ----
> 
> 3.4.2.  "hangIndent" Attribute
> 
>     Deprecated.  Use <dl> instead.
> 
> ----
> 
> Now, the hangIndent parameter controls how far the definition description
> in a v2 hanging list would be indented.  <dl> does not have any indentation
> distance control, so 'Use <dl> instead' doesn't make sense here.  The bis
> document should either put back the ability to control the indentation
> level, or be clear about removing the functionality.
> ...

Correct. The IMHO right description would say that controlling the 
amount of indentation wasn't considered important.

That said, I just noticed what apparently people set hangIndent for all 
kinds of lists, not only "hanging" ones.

Does the value have any effect for other lists right now?

(Attaching statistics for RFCs in AUTH48)

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2017 16:22:44 +0200

Hi Julian,

> Does the value have any effect for other lists right now?

No.  It has an effect only for style="hanging", from what I can see.  But
there it matters, at least for text format output.  I'm really uncomfortable
with the idea that controlling the amount of indentation should not be
important.  There are plenty of hanging style content (lists of parameters
in a package format comes to mind) where you would want to set a different
indentation than the default, to get a nice readable output.

> (Attaching statistics for RFCs in AUTH48)

Ack; thanks.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2017 16:44:19 +0200

> indentation than the default, to get a nice readable output.

The default being derived from the longest label, correct?

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2017 18:00:33 +0200

> The default being derived from the longest label, correct?

No, the default is 3.  Except (and this is probably a bug) if you have
set an invalid value; then it's set to 6.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: "Eggert, Lars" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2017 17:37:24 +0000

On 2017-7-2, at 16:22, Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]> wrote:
> There are plenty of hanging style content (lists of parameters

+1 I certainly remember (ab)using it like this.

Lars