Subject: [xml2rfc-dev] I've been playing around with the xml2rfc web form

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 00:36:40 -0500

I've been playing around with generating alternative output formats from 
the xml2rfc web form.

Take a look at http://shiraz.tools.ietf.org/~tonyh/web/index-new.html

It will generate PDF, RTF and PS in addition to the original ASCII format.

I'm working on adding ePub as well, but that requires some additional 
software that's not available yet.

This version also fixes a bug: the web back end was supposed to be check 
the the XML input using a sax parser, but that's been broken for a few 
years. I've restored that with this version.

Let me know what you think.

     Tony

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 00:40:58 -0500

PS. I'm not happy with the HTML => other format conversions. If anyone 
has suggestions for how to improve that, please speak up.

     Tony

On 1/13/2011 12:36 AM, Tony Hansen wrote:
> I've been playing around with generating alternative output formats 
> from the xml2rfc web form.
>
> This version also fixes a bug: the web back end was supposed to be 
> check the the XML input using a sax parser, but that's been broken for 
> a few years. I've restored that with this version.
>

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 23:03:06 -0500

Thanks to Julian for a pointer to wkhtmltopdf. Because of this, I am 
extremely happy with what my modified xml2rfc web page

     http://shiraz.tools.ietf.org/~tonyh/web/index-new.html

is generating for HTML => PDF and HTML => PS now.

This version of the xml2rfc web page can generate each of the output 
modes (text, html, nroff, unpg and xml) in any of (ascii, pdf, 
postscript or rtf). (Except for html=>rtf.)

Adding ePub will require additional software that I don't have yet.

     Tony

On 1/13/2011 12:36 AM, Tony Hansen wrote:
 > PS. I'm not happy with the HTML => other format conversions. If 
anyone has suggestions for how to improve that, please speak up.

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 09:51:07 +0100

> Thanks to Julian for a pointer to wkhtmltopdf. Because of this, I am

I stumbled across it a few days ago. Unfortunately it doesn't handle CSS 
paged media extensions, so you don't get headers and footers, nor page 
numbers in TOC and index. (For better results, try PrinceXML, which has 
a free demo version).

> Adding ePub will require additional software that I don't have yet.

You just need my XSLTs, plus an XSLT engine such as xsltproc or Saxon.

See also 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2629xslt/rfc2629xslt.html#output.epub>. 
Example output at 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2629xslt/rfc2629xslt.html#output.epub>.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 10:39:42 -0500

On 1/14/2011 3:51 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> I stumbled across it a few days ago. Unfortunately it doesn't handle 
> CSS paged media extensions, so you don't get headers and footers, nor 
> page numbers in TOC and index. (For better results, try PrinceXML, 
> which has a free demo version).

It's a start. We can track things as they wkhtmltopdf improves. We can 
also look at PrinceXML.

> <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2629xslt/rfc2629xslt.html#output.epub>.

That'll produce HTML=> ePub. I don't think it'll help with text=>ePub, 
though. Right?

But I've also been thinking we should provide a way to invoke your XSL 
files from the web form.

What do you think?

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 17:13:50 +0100

On 14.01.2011 16:39, Tony Hansen wrote:
> ...
> ...

That'll produce epub from XML.

> But I've also been thinking we should provide a way to invoke your XSL

If there's an XSLT processor around; why not?

Best regards, Juöoan