Subject: Re: [websec] #33: HSTS: quoted-string grammar in (extension) directives ?

From: "websec issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 18:14:56 -0000

#33: HSTS: quoted-string grammar in (extension) directives ?

#choose ticket.new
  #when True
 (extension) directives are defined having this grammar..

   token [ "=" ( token | quoted-string ) ]

 There is an argument against having quoted-string as part of the grammar.
 Justification is presented primarily in these messages..

   https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/websec/current/msg00781.html (Adam
 Barth)

   https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/websec/current/msg00920.html (Adam
 Barth)

 ..but also in other messages in the same thread. Nominal summary of
 argument against inclusion of quoted-string is..

  * presently-defined STS header directives don't employ quoted-string
 syntax
  * supporting use of quoted-string syntax raises questions of handling
 error conditions such as
    unbalanced quotation marks.
  * present HSTS implementations don't parse quoted-string STS directive
 values (e.g. max-age="13425")

 Argument for having quoted-string as a part of the grammar is..

  * centered around HTTP header field consistency -- the generic header
 field syntax in RFC2616 (as well as in the in-progress httpbis update)
 incorporates quoted-string syntax as a part of header field value
 components.
  * because the HSTS header field grammar is extensible, and new directives
 can be defined in the future which may (need to) use quoted-string syntax.

 ..as noted here..

 https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/websec/current/msg00774.html (Julian
 Reschke)

 https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/websec/current/msg00933.html (Julian
 Reschke)
  #end
  #otherwise
    #if changes_body
Changes (by jeff.hodges@…):

 * status:  reopened => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed
 * severity:  Active WG Document => In WG Last Call

    #end
    #if changes_descr
      #if not changes_body and not change.comment and change.author
Description changed by jeff.hodges@…:
      #end

--
    #end
    #if change.comment

Comment:

 fixed in =07
    #end
  #end
#end

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |       Owner:  draft-ietf-websec-strict-
  jeff.hodges@…          |  transport-sec@…
     Type:  defect       |      Status:  closed
 Priority:  major        |   Milestone:
Component:  strict-      |     Version:
  transport-sec          |  Resolution:  fixed
 Severity:  In WG Last   |
  Call                   |
 Keywords:               |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/websec/trac/ticket/33#comment:6>
websec <http://tools.ietf.org/websec/>