Subject: [websec] #36: HSTS: fixup references

From: "websec issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 18:23:27 -0000

#36: HSTS: fixup references

 see..

 [websec] draft-ietf-websec-strict-transport-sec-03 reference nits, Julian
 Reschke
 https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/websec/current/msg00919.html

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  draft-ietf-websec-strict-transport-
  jeff.hodges@…          |  sec@…
     Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
 Priority:  minor        |  Milestone:
Component:  strict-      |    Version:
  transport-sec          |   Keywords:
 Severity:  Active WG    |
  Document               |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/websec/trac/ticket/36>
websec <http://tools.ietf.org/websec/>

---

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 16:27:44 -0800

Alexey pointed out to me..
 >
 > BTW, you moved lots of references to Informational (e.g. all IDNA
 > related), I think this is incorrect - their understanding is required in
 > order to implement HSTS correctly.

So, yes, I did (ruthlessly) move a ton of references to Informational. I wanted 
to pare down the Normative references to the absolutely necessary ones.

Wrt IDNA refs, I'm happy to move them back to Normative if that's what folks 
think. Note that in typical implementations, all the IDN normalizations have 
occurred before getting to the actual HSTS implementation. there's this text in 
Section 8. User Agent Processing Model...

    This processing model assumes that the UA implements IDNA2008
    [RFC5890], or possibly IDNA2003 [RFC3490], as noted in Section 13
    "Internationalized Domain Names for Applications (IDNA): Dependency
    and Migration".  It also assumes that all domain names manipulated in
    this specification's context are already IDNA-canonicalized as
    outlined in Section 9 "Domain Name IDNA-Canonicalization" prior to
    the processing specified in this section.

    The above assumptions mean that this processing model also
    specifically assumes that appropriate IDNA and Unicode validations
    and character list testing have occurred on the domain names, in
    conjunction with their IDNA-canonicalization, prior to the processing
    specified in this section.  See the IDNA-specific security
    considerations in Section 14.8 "Internationalized Domain Names" for
    rationale and further details.

So, if folks indeed wish IDN refs to be Normative, I'll move 'em back.

Also please point out any other refs y'all think should be in the Normative 
section but aren't.

thanks,

=JeffH