Subject: [Webpush] Protocol Action: 'Voluntary Application Server Identification (VAPID) for Web Push' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-webpush-vapid-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 15:24:51 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Voluntary Application Server Identification (VAPID) for Web Push'
  (draft-ietf-webpush-vapid-04.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Web-Based Push Notifications Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-webpush-vapid/

Technical Summary

   An application server can use the method described to voluntarily
   identify itself to a push service.  This identification information
   can be used by the push service to attribute requests that are made
   by the same application server to a single entity.  An application
   server can include additional information that the operator of a push
   service can use to contact the operator of the application server.
   This identification information can be used to restrict the use of a
   push subscription a single application server.

Working Group Summary

  There is nothing notable about this document's progress through the working group.

Document Quality

  Both Google and Mozilla have deployed VAPID as part of their webpush solutions.

Personnel

  Phil Sorber is the document shepherd. Adam Roach is the responsible AD.