Subject: [Webpush] Eric Rescorla's No Objection on draft-ietf-webpush-encryption-08: (with COMMENT)

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 17:22:32 -0700

Eric Rescorla has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-webpush-encryption-08: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-webpush-encryption/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Moving to No Objection because my DISCUSS is fixed in:
https://github.com/webpush-wg/webpush-encryption/commit/645a04b3b86ffe10322134e27a3d3c5eb5a8b06b

Note, I think technically only the UA needs to do point verification if the app
generates a fresh key as implied by S 2. It would also be nice to have a cite
to how to do the point verification. This text can be stolen from TLS 1.3.

S 1.
   This document describes how messages sent using this protocol can be
   secured against inspection, modification and falsification by a Push
   Service.

"forgery" is more customary than falsification.

S 3.3.

   key_info = "WebPush: info" || 0x00 || ua_public || as_public

You should make clear that the string is not null-terminated. Ugh, I know.

S 3.4.
You should clearly separate which pieces are defined in this document
and which are defined in the HTTP encryption document.

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2017 10:47:37 +1000

Thanks ekr, your PR is here:

  https://github.com/webpush-wg/webpush-encryption/pull/20

I ripped off your text.