Subject: [Webpush] Last-minute Review of Webpush Encryption

From: "Matthew A. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 09:23:20 -0700

I was asked to review draft-ietf-webpush-encryption.

Overall I think this document is ready; I'd lightly recommend one
editorial change and have a callout that borders the line on editorial.

In Section 3.4 "Encryption Summary", I think it adds clarity to
explicitly stating the "L" inputs for the two final HKDFs.  I've
submitted PR #12 to that effect.

More concerning is that "keyid" is expected to be the "raw" ECDH public
key, which is almost certainly not a UTF-8 encoded string; this bends
the SHOULD in draft-ietf-httpbis-encryption-encoding.  It needs to be
called out more explicitly than I see so far, but I don't have any
specific text to start with.

-- 
- m&m

Matthew A. Miller

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2017 14:34:50 +1000

> submitted PR #12 to that effect.

I see your point, and I agree that this could be clearer, but I didn't
really like the unused variables.  See
https://github.com/webpush-wg/webpush-encryption/pull/13, which you
already approved :)

> specific text to start with.

I think that a note will help, yes.
https://github.com/webpush-wg/webpush-encryption/pull/14