Subject: [Webpush] vapid issue 24: supplementary data in tokens

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 12:02:57 +1000

JR requests that we allow the inclusion of extra stuff in a vapid token:

https://github.com/webpush-wg/webpush-vapid/issues/24
As noted in the arguments of #23, there is a need for an "extra data"
field which would be used by the parties using the VAPID claims. This
data would contain information useful to the publisher of the claim
(e.g. the originating server ID, transaction ID, or other possibly
VAPID consumer opaque data).

This extra data ("vapid-ext" ?) field would allow consistent,
predictable definition rather than a set of 'one-offs' that may be
difficult to find or ignored by operators.
<<<

I think that the general idea is fine.  Better this than trying to
pack the "sub" field with extra stuff.

JR, would it suffice to point out that the
[private](https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7519#section-4.3) (or even
[public](https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7519#section-4.2)) claims can
be added to the token?  Allowing multiple fields gives the application
server a fair bit more flexibility.

If that's OK, we should point out that this is possible so that push
services don't lose the extra data because they aren't aware that it
might exist.