Subject: [Webpush] Replacing Push Messages just with Topic. Why?

From: Idel Pivnitskiy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 16:25:45 +0300

Can not find discussion about this.

Only push messages that have been assigned a topic can be replaced. A push
> message with a topic replaces any outstanding push message with an
> identical topic.

Why a user can replace push messages just with topics? Why we don't allow
him to replace any message providing push message resource? Looks like it
may simplify implementation. And no need to worry if user didn't assigned a
topic to the message which he wants to replace.

Best regards,
Idel Pivnitskiy
--
Twitter: @idelpivnitskiy <https://twitter.com/idelpivnitskiy>
GitHub: @idelpivnitskiy <https://github.com/idelpivnitskiy>

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 14:54:40 +0100

> topic to the message which he wants to replace.

We had a discussion about this at our Yokohama meeting, where I
presented exactly this idea.  It was observed that many applications
don't want to keep state about the messages that they want to replace.
In order to replace based on the resource URL, they have to wait for
the response from the server as well, which was also considered
inconvenient.  Topics are simpler to manage.