Subject: [Webpush] Port numbers

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 13:30:27 -0700

See https://github.com/webpush-wg/webpush-protocol/issues/37

Costin asked if we could somehow register, recommend, or mandate the use of
the port numbers that are used for current push services (5223/5228).
These ports are typically given special treatment by network operators,
mainly so that they require less frequent keep-alive packets, which saves
battery.

Since these ports are already registered for other purposes with IANA, my
suggestion is that we don't try to formally register them. Instead, I
suggest that we include a note saying that certain pre-existing services
are treated specially based on the server port number and that new services
might be deployed on these same ports to gain the same preferential
treatment.

The alternative is to try to register one or other port for webpush.  In
general, I don't believe in port number registrations, but this might be OK.

---

From: Costin Manolache <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 15:00:29 -0700

IMHO registering a number would be useful - this is a case where network
operators and router makers could help a lot
by setting reasonable NAT timeouts. Having a section on network config
implications will also help.

We may also mention that operators could apply limits on number of
connections from an IP in their network to this port,
to reduce NAT entries - and for IPv6 they should obviously not block it or
timeout it.

Another thing to "remind" is that TCP connections should be closed with a
FIN or RST packet when possible, and suppressing
the RST should be for special cases only.

443 traffic is very different than what will be typical for webpush - a UA
may have 100s of TCP connections open to various sites
on 443, each can be short lived with little harm if the operator kills it.

Costin

On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 1:30 PM, Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Costin asked if we could somehow register, recommend, or mandate the use
> of the port numbers that are used for current push services (5223/5228).
> _______________________________________________
> Webpush mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/webpush
>
>