Subject: [Webpush] Proposed charter

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 12:52:34 -0700

This is the text of the charter that I proposed on [email-masked]
yesterday in a screaming hurry after discovering that the deadline had
passed.

If there is anything here that you'd like to have changed, let's
discuss that so that I can provide the dispatch chairs with an update.
Prior to starting a working group, there is plenty of opportunity to
change and refine language.

Charter:

   Many applications require continuous access to network communications
   so that real-time events - such as incoming calls or messages - can
   be conveyed (or "pushed") to the user in a timely fashion.
   Uncoordinated use of the network from multiple applications can
   contribute to unnecessary use of the network on devices.  For
   instance, maintaining sessions can dominate costs over the long term,
   since events are relatively rare.  This is particularly onerous for
   battery-powered devices, on which network communication contributes a
   significant portion of power drain.  Each independent session
   independently incurs overheads, causing unnecessary resource usage on
   devices.

   Several modern computing platforms provide a push notification
   service that consolidates application events, distributing those
   events to applications as they arrive.  The single session avoids
   duplicated overhead costs on devices.

   This working group will develop a protocol that applications can use
   to request the delivery of application data to a device using a
   consolidated push notification service.  This work will include the
   ability to push the same message to multiple devices.  The work may
   include an exemplar protocol for devices registering with push
   services.

   This work will be done in collaboration with the W3C Webapps Working
   Group, who are developing a Web Push API for use in web applications
   (see <http://www.w3.org/TR/push-api/>).

Milestones:

  2015-05 Send web push protocol draft to the IESG as Proposed Standard

---

From: Daniel Appelquist <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 22:26:36 +0100

This looks good to me. I think the linkage to w3c webapps push API spec is key and I’m glad to see that reflected here.

Dan

On 19 Jun 2014, at 20:52, Martin Thomson <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Webpush mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/webpush

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 14:35:47 -0700

> This looks good to me. I think the linkage to w3c webapps push API spec is key and I’m glad to see that reflected here.

Absolutely.  I'd consider this to be the main reason for the working
group.  We can only really declare success if the protocol works for
the API.

There may be others who benefit, such as the many developers who might
be able to discard redundant implementations of proprietary protocols
for doing push for different platforms, but the W3C effort is the main
driver here.

---

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 14:30:52 -0700

This looks good to me too. Thanks for sending it out!

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 2:26 PM, Daniel Appelquist <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> This looks good to me. I think the linkage to w3c webapps push API spec is
> key and I’m glad to see that reflected here.
>
> Dan
>

---

From: James Winterbottom <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 11:20:56 +1000

Looks good to me

On 20 Jun 2014, at 7:26 am, Daniel Appelquist <[email-masked]> wrote: