Subject: announcement -- release of software

From: Sankar Virdhagriswaran <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 19:05:44 -0500

Folks,

I apologize for sending this note here. But, I felt that some of you folks may be interested.

We are releasing a distributed configuration management system we have been developing called
Concorde at www.digitaldig.com. It is an all Java system and uses change sets as a mechanism
to implement distributed configuration management. It is also an all Java implementation (Java 1.2).
It has a few other bells and whistles that  you can read up at the above URL.

So, why am I sending this note to a group of DELTA-V and WEB-DAV afficinados? Well, Concorde
does not support WEB-DAV or DELTA-V. This sounds counter intuitive, right? But, read on...

We are also interested in releasing it in open source so that some body out there can add
WEB-DAV and/or DELTA-V support to the system. Currently, its distribution works using RMI
The open source model we want to use is similar to Java. We want to open the copyright to
the parts we have developed and you own the copyright to the parts you developed.

There is a form on that site you have to answer before you download the Windows NT distribution.
In that form there is a field that asks you if you would be interested in participating in such
an open source implementation. Let us know and I will follow-up with you.

If you have any thoughts on our approach to promote open source development, I would like to hear
about it too. But, first play with the system and then decide if it is worth your while to do
the extension. 

Additionally, the ZIP file contains the Java compiled version which has been tested only on NT. We
are working on compiling and testing it on Linux. You can also volunteer to test it on other
platforms that support Java 1.2.

I appreciate any of your comments.

Sankar

P.S: The ZIP file in that site does not contain source.