Subject: [video-codec] NHW Project - new test on very high compression

From: Raphael Canut <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 18:26:10 +0100

Hi,

Just a quick email and hope that I am not polluting this channel as I think
now that the IETF is not interested in the NHW Project.

Just I have also (personally) contacted some people of this list, and I
wanted to give you all an update of the NHW Project via this mailing list
rather than individually contacting you on your professional emails.

I have started to look into the NHW Project again and notably very high
compression, as it is nearly one year now that I did not develop the NHW
Project.

I stated in my last update that the NHW Project was better than AOM AV1 and
HEVC only for high quality, and some people answered me that it was too
restrictive and so then not interesting to be only better for high
quality.So I have finally retested the NHW Project at -l13 very high
compression setting (0.3bpp), and surprisingly on good quality images, I
find the NHW Project visually more pleasant than AOM AV1, HEVC, x265
because it has more neatness!

-Just a reminder if you want to test the NHW Project, its 3 new entropy
coding schemes are not totally optimal for now, I have the fast ideas to
improve them, and so we can save 2.5KB per .nhw compressed file, will have
to re-work on it...-

So actually, I wanted to correct what I said in my previous post, on rather
good quality images, the NHW Project is visually better for me than AOM AV1
and HEVC for high quality to very high compression (0.3bpp -> 3bpp), which
is more complete and maybe more interesting.AOM AV1 and HEVC remains better
for extreme compression.

I don't think this will change the absence of interest in the NHW Project,
but I wanted to bring however this correction.

Many thanks for your attention.
Cheers,
Raphael Canut