Subject: [video-codec] NHW Project - new -l19 "extreme" compression quality setting

From: Raphael Canut <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 18:00:36 +0100

Hello,

For those interested, I have added a new -l19 "extreme" compression quality
setting to the NHW Project.This -l19 quality setting is really competitive
with x265 (HEVC) on rather good quality images.

An important remark: we can really save 2.5KB in average per .nhw
compressed file as the entropy coding schemes are not optimal, especially
at extreme compression.I have the fast ideas to improve it.Will have to do
it.

More at: http://nhwcodec.blogspot.com/

I will have to study a little deeper the psychovisual model I use for
extreme compression, because on 5% of the images, certain kinds of images,
it is better to switch it off...

Again, it would be great if you could consider the NHW Project as
furthermore it is royalty-free and ultra-fast, I know it is impossible to
compete with VP9,HEVC, AOM AV1, VVC, but maybe there would a niche these
codecs don't cover and where the NHW Project could shine, because I feel it
still lacks of consideration by the industry (but of course this is only my
opinion)...

Many thanks!
Cheers,
Raphael Canut