Subject: [video-codec] NHW Project - new -l17 "extreme" compression quality setting

From: Raphael Canut <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2019 21:18:29 +0100

Hello,

I just wanted to let you know that I have added a new -l17 "extreme"
compression quality setting to the NHW Project.I find this setting
competitive with x265 (HEVC).Actually I have tested -l17 on 15 rather good
quality images, and on these images I prefer the results of the NHW Project.

We can still save 2.5KB per .nhw compressed files.

More at: http://nhwcodec.blogspot.com/ .

I start wondering if for extreme compression I should add a post-processing
function in the decoder that would remove some aliasing for some images,
just like HEVC intra has post-processing functions like deblocking and SAO
filters.

As detecting aliasing seems quite difficult, would it be possible to use
for example machine learning, that would be trained to detect aliasing
patterns?

But first, do you find the results of the NHW Project at extreme
compression good in their current state? Or should they be post-processed
with aliasing and other?

Any feedback is very welcome!

Cheers,
Raphael