Subject: [video-codec] NHW Project - new -l18 "extreme" compression quality setting - HEVC comparing

From: Raphael Canut <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 17:43:29 +0100

Hello,

I have just added a new -l18 "extreme" compression quality setting to the
NHW Project.I find this quality setting very good and actually better than
x265 (HEVC) at extreme compression.

First, I wanted to let you know that compression of the wavelet DC image is
really not efficient at extreme compression, I have the fast ideas to
improve it, and so we can really save 2.5KB per .nhw compressed files in
average at extreme compression (this is confirmed by recompressing the .nhw
files with a compressor such as paq8px or other).

I don't know if my eyes play trick on me, but I have tested -l18 "extreme"
compression quality setting on 30 rather good quality images, and on these
images I clearly prefer the results of the NHW Project compared to x265
(HEVC)!!!

More at: http://nhwcodec.blogspot.com/

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated as if it can be confirmed that
the NHW Project is better than HEVC at extreme compression, it would be
really great news, as the NHW Project is furthermore royalty-free and a lot
faster to encode/decode.

Again your professional opinion would be very welcome!

Many thanks!
Cheers,
Raphael Canut