Subject: [video-codec] new -l16 "extreme" compression quality setting

From: Raphael Canut <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 20:49:53 +0100

Hello,

Very sorry for disturbing you, but for the people who are interested in my
work on this list, I wanted to let you know that I have added a new -l16
"extreme" compression quality setting to the NHW Project.

This new -l16 quality setting is surprisingly good actually, because I find
it better on some images than -l15 quality setting whereas files size is
smaller.I notably find this new -l16 quality setting better than x265
(HEVC).

More at: http://nhwcodec.blogspot.com/

We can still save 2.5KB per .nhw compressed file.

I however know that this work is hopeless because the industry will soon
standardize AOM AV1 (AVIF) as the new image compression codec.I have also
read on twitter that the new JPEG XL standard will be based on AOM AV1.I
could not test AOM AV1 but I guess that if the Alliance for Open Media
never answered me it's because AOM AV1 is better than the NHW Project.

Anyway I wanted to remind the advantages of the NHW Project to the
professionals here, it is visually better than x265 (HEVC), it is
royalty-free, and it is a lot faster to encode/decode than x264, x265, AOM
AV1,... If you think there is a niche where the NHW Project would shine,
please do not hesitate to contact me.

Many thanks!
Cheers,
Raphael Canut