Subject: [video-codec] NHW Project - speed measurement

From: Raphael Canut <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2018 17:25:58 +0100

Hello,

As I had some questions on where do my speed numbers come from, here are
some speed timings compared with x265 (very optmized HEVC) and Google WebP,
on my computer: Windows 10 64bit - Intel i5-6400 2.73Ghz 4C/8T, for a
512x512 .bmp/ppm 24bit color image:

Encode time: x265: 310ms  WebP: 70ms  NHW: 30ms
Decode time: x265: 30ms    WebP: 40ms  NHW: 10ms

But the NHW Project is totally unoptimized whereas x265 and WebP are
extremely optimized (multithreading, SIMD,...) and so with a good
optimization (x4-5), the NHW Project is 310/30x5=51.67x faster to encode
and 30/10x5=15x faster to decode than x265, and 70/30x5=11.67x faster to
encode and 40/10x5=20x faster to decode than WebP.

Also, I claim that the NHW Project has more neatness (subjective quality),
and now I have developped a NHW Neatness Metrics (that you can downlaod on
my demo page) that is based on a neatness/perceived quality model, and that
gives objective measurements and that objectively shows that the NHW
Project has more neatness.

To finish, I would be also very interested in your opinion if you have time
on the new -l12 very high compression quality setting that I find very
competitive!

More at: http://nhwcodec.blogspot.com/

Many thanks!
Best regards,
Raphael Canut