Subject: [video-codec] NHW Project - speed measurement 2 - very high compression

From: Raphael Canut <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 17:51:35 +0100

Hello,

If it could be of interest, here are new speed measurement for -l13 very
high compression setting which are not the same.

For x265 (HEVC), I use BPG codec, and this time I use -m 0 setting which
uses the fastest encoding setting of x265.I run the .exe 10x times and I
pick the best scores.

So here are the timings at -l13 very high compression:

Encode time: x265 (BPG -m 0): 80ms  NHW: 20ms
Decode time: x265 (BPG): 90ms  NHW: 10ms

So with an equivalent level of optimization (x4-5, multithreading,
SIMD,...), the NHW Project is 80/20x5=20x faster to encode and 90/10x5=45x
faster to decode than x265 (optimized HEVC)!

Yes, 45x faster to decode than x265 at very high compression!, this would
really save on battery life for mobile devices! I wanted to let you know,
the industry, about these performance if you could consider the NHW Project.

Else also, with the new improvements I finally find the NHW Project
competitive with x265 (HEVC) on nearly 90%-95% of the images I have tested
at -l13 very high compression, because it has more neatness.

I will continue to go down to very high compression, but it is not that
easy, anyway you can have a first idea with -l13 very high compression
setting on my demo page ( http://nhwcodec.blogspot.com/ ).

Many thanks for your attention!
Cheers,
Raphael Canut