Subject: [video-codec] NHW Project - New Release 0.1.6

From: Raphael Canut <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 16:35:41 +0100

Hello,

For those interested, after the many recent quality improvements and adding
of very high compression quality settings, I have released a new version
0.1.6 of the NHW Project.

I have validated all the quality settings from -h3 high quality setting to
-l14 very high compression quality setting.Actually my eyes get used to
detect and prefer neatness as perceived visual quality, and so on all these
quality settings I visually prefer the results of the NHW Project compared
to x265 (HEVC) and other codecs, because it has more neatness.

The NHW Project is still royalty-free, and a lot faster to encode/decode
than x265 (optimized HEVC), WebP,... We can also still save 2.5KB per.nhw
compressed file, will have to do these improvements.

More on the new 0.1.6 version at: http://nhwcodec.blogspot.com/

I have started to work on "extreme" compression -l15 and -l16 quality
settings, but my algorithm starts to perform less efficiently than HEVC.Sor
for now I put "extreme" compression on pause, now I will work on adapting
the NHW Project to any image size.As this is quite a lot of work, and as I
am doing it on my spare time, it will take time, around 6 months I think,
so I would expect the next release in June/July 2019.

Unless I have fundamental new idea for extreme compression, I think I won't
post on this list and will stop disturbing you for a while, I wanted to let
you know that this 0.1.6 version will be the reference version if you want
to evaluate the NHW Project.

Many thanks again.
Cheers,
Raphael Canut