Subject: [video-codec] NHW Project - new version - very high compression - Interesting for IETF?

From: Raphael Canut <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2018 18:42:01 +0200

Hello,

Maybe it could be interesting for professional people of this list, I have
improved the NHW Project image compression codec.

This new version is better and I have added very high compression, which is
very competitive with x265 (HEVC).Maybe this version could be now
interesting for the IETF video codec working group...

For reminder, the NHW Project has more neatness than x265 (HEVC) and I find
it visually more pleasant, it is royalty-free, and it is at least 50x
faster to encode and at least 15x faster to decode than x265 (optimized
HEVC)! So it is meeting the criteria of the IETF video codec.

You can find more at: http://nhwcodec.blogspot.com/

Sorry again if you find that I am "spamming" the list (do not hesitate to
let me know), but it is extremely difficult for me to reach the Industry
for my codec.

Many thanks for your time!
Cheers,
Raphael Canut

---

From: Raphael Canut <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2018 00:10:22 +0200

Hello,

Just a quick message in the case if the IETF would be studying the NHW
Project, for fair comparison, notably at very high compression, the entropy
coding schemes of the NHW Project are not optimal for now, and we can save
in average 2.4KB per .nhw compressed file.

Also, yes the NHW Project is only for 512x512 image size for now, I am
currently spending my (limited) time on improving the codec and coding very
high compression.But if you are interested in the NHW Project, it would be
so great if you can propose me a contract, to adapt it to any image size
for example, and other things!

Thank you very much!
Cheers,
Raphael Canut

Le mer. 3 oct. 2018 à 18:42, Raphael Canut <[email-masked]> a écrit :

> This new version is better and I have added very high compression, which
> is very competitive with x265 (HEVC).Maybe this version could be now
> For reminder, the NHW Project has more neatness than x265 (HEVC) and I
> find it visually more pleasant, it is royalty-free, and it is at least 50x

---

From: Michael Niedermayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2018 14:37:24 +0200

Hi Raphael

> let me know), but it is extremely difficult for me to reach the Industry

I cant speak about NHW (as i have not looked at it yet) or for IETF
but somewhat on topic and related, if you are interrested in
working on a IETF "standarized" video codec". As the author of the
original FFV1 spec. I and i belive "we" at IETF cellar would be very interrested
in seeing work done to improve future iterations of FFV1. And while
FFV1 is not a wavelet codec really i think there are no real constraints
of what a future v5, v6 or whatever might do, it could use a completely
different algorithm if the people on IETF-cellar feel thats the right
way forward.
I had always imagined long before cellar-IETF existed that future revissions
of FFV1 would be designed based on some sort of competition between 
different algorithms being tested with the aim being simplicity, 
high compression, speed and losslessness.
Also image coding and intra only coded video are very closely related,
its basically almost the same problem.

Thanks

[...]

-- 
Michael     GnuPG fingerprint: 9FF2128B147EF6730BADF133611EC787040B0FAB

No human being will ever know the Truth, for even if they happen to say it
by chance, they would not even known they had done so. -- Xenophanes

---

From: Raphael Canut <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2018 15:59:08 +0200

Hello Michael,

Many thanks for your answer Sir!

It interests me a lot that the NHW Project algorithm would be studied for
the great FFV1 codec!

Just first I wanted to point out that the NHW Project is very experimental
for now.For example there is no lossless mode and it is now only for
512x512 image size...

Do you plan to add to FFV1 a lossy intra-coded picture mode?

Maybe first and before going deeper, you can try the NHW Project and see if
in its current state it can be interesting for FFV1?

Many thanks again!
Cheers,
Raphael

Le jeu. 4 oct. 2018 à 14:37, Michael Niedermayer <[email-masked]> a
écrit :

> is
> find

---

From: Michael Niedermayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2018 01:24:40 +0200

Hi Raphael

> It interests me a lot that the NHW Project algorithm would be studied for

I think it would only be studied if someone (like for example you) would
do that study, that is compare it to current ffv1 and suggest it as an 
algorithm for a future version. Of course you would only do that if/when
you see that as making sense. For example when it is better than the
current code, supports lossless and arbitrary image sizes ...

What i wanted to say with my reply is more that suggestions to extend
ffv1 in ways that improve it would be welcome. 

> Do you plan to add to FFV1 a lossy intra-coded picture mode?

That would only make sense if that is either a very simple & natural extension
to existing code or if it adds significant value over other existing codecs.

> _______________________________________________
> video-codec mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/video-codec

---

From: Raphael Canut <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2018 01:59:16 +0200

Hello Michael,

Actually my codec is very lossy-oriented, and generally what works in
lossy, doesn't really work in lossless... Lossy and lossless are two
different things...

For now at first glance, I don't see really good ideas from lossy NHW
Project to improve lossless FFV1... but I will study it deeper.Even my
entropy coding schemes are for lossy scheme...

What I can advice, but you certainly already know it, I have read recently
(on the encode.ru forum) that some developers have implemented good new
image models (context and predictors) to the paq8px compressor which gave
them even better compression, but I think it is complex.The paq8px
compressor has then very good results on lossless image compression but is
slow... Maybe if you are interested in these new image models, you can
contact them.

If I go through new good ideas while developing the NHW Project that could
be useful to FFV1, I will let you know.

Many thanks again!
Kind regards,
Raphael Canut

Le ven. 5 oct. 2018 à 01:24, Michael Niedermayer <[email-masked]> a