Subject: Re: [video-codec] LS from ITU-T SG 16 (Alissa Cooper)

From: David Benham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 06:13:54 -0700

Alissa
Your version is fine, but there is one extra subpoint I suggest we add to
the first paragraph.  It re-uses 'to elaborate' text directly from the
charter (subtle RTFM?)...

< new first paragraph proposed >
We are writing in response to the liaison statement received from ITU-T SG
16 requesting clarification about the goals the proposed Internet Video
Codec (NETVC) working group.  The NETVC charter uses the word “competitive”
in the sense of being “comparable" and "commercially interesting to
implement."  That is, the goal of the working group is to produce a video
codec that will need to have comparable quality and efficiency as well as
have IPR licensing terms make it that commercially interesting to deploy
widely at the time when the NETVC work is finalized.

> From: Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>
>
> We are writing in response to the liaison statement received from ITU-T SG
> 16 requesting clarification about the goals the proposed Internet Video
> Codec (NETVC) working group. The NETVC charter uses the word “competitive”
> in the sense of “comparable." That is, the goal of the working group is to
> produce a codec whose quality and efficiency are comparable to the video
> codecs in widespread use at the time when the NETVC work is finalized.
>
> As the liaison statement notes, there are many concurrent ongoing efforts
> to develop video codecs, and the NETVC work would merely be one additional
> such effort. We do not view the proposed NETVC work as harmful for
> interoperability, but rather as helpful, considering the fact that at
> present the licensing environment creates barriers to full interoperability
> in many cases.
>
> ---
>
> Thanks,
> Alissa
>
>