Subject: [video-codec] Spencer Dawkins' Yes on charter-ietf-netvc-00-01: (with COMMENT)

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 23:46:18 -0700

Spencer Dawkins has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-netvc-00-01: Yes

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-netvc/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

As a sitting TSV AD, I applaud 

"It should include, but may not be limited to, the ability to support
fast and flexible congestion control and rate adaptation, ..."

Thanks to the group for going there. This seems uber important.

I'm balloting Yes with heartburn, based on this text:

"In developing the codec specification, the WG may consider information
concerning old prior art or the results of research indicating
royalty-free availability of particular techniques."

What I had assumed based on the BOF is that NETVC intends to use
non-traditional techniques to (I'm quoting from the "DAALA coding tools
and progress" slides at the BOF)

"Replace major codec building blocks with fundamentally different
technology

"Be sufficiently different from existing approaches to avoid large swaths
of patents"

as DAALA has done - at least, I assumed that was the point of showing
these slides at the BOF.

Am I misunderstanding, or is NETVC back to using traditional approaches,
where looking at old prior art matters more?

I agree with Martin's initial Discuss, and I mention that to thank you
for the change into "seek cross-area review". I do see that as stronger
than "liase with".

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 09:25:42 -0400

> where looking at old prior art matters more?

The sense I get from talking with folks is that they're still working
in the direction Daala has been, but intellectual property issues can
always crop up anywhere, and they have to have a plan for how to deal
with them when they do, and when there's something they can't work
around by taking a different approach.

Barry

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 15:05:31 -0500

> around by taking a different approach.

I think that's right. I'll put special emphasis on the use of the word 
"may" in the sentence.

/a