Subject: [video-codec] Benoit Claise's No Objection on charter-ietf-netvc-00-01: (with COMMENT)

From: "Benoit Claise" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 07:31:55 -0700

Benoit Claise has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-netvc-00-01: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-netvc/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

- I'm supportive of this effort, but it requires one improvement first.
Like most IESG members, I spent some time on:

    In keeping with BCP 79, the WG will prefer algorithms or tools where
there are
    verifiable reasons to believe they are available on an RF basis. In
developing
    the codec specification, the WG may consider information concerning
old prior
    art or the results of research indicating royalty-free availability
of
    particular techniques.

Then I realized this text, further down:

    The working group shall heed the preference stated in BCP 79: "In
general, IETF
    working groups prefer technologies with no known IPR claims or, for
technologies
    with claims against them, an offer of royalty-free licensing." This
preference
    cannot guarantee that the working group will produce an IPR
unencumbered codec.

You should avoid these almost similar paragraphs and combine the text.

- Suggestion: Do you want to have a reference to OPUS in the charter,
basically telling: "we want the same success, but for video this time."

---

From: Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 08:08:50 -0700

I did a little re-arranging so that all the text that references BCP 79 is now in one paragraph, in charter-ietf-netvc-00-02. None of the meaning changed though:

"The working group shall heed the preference stated in BCP 79: "In general, IETF working groups prefer technologies with no known IPR claims or, for technologies with claims against them, an offer of royalty-free licensing." In keeping with this BCP, the WG will prefer algorithms or tools where there are verifiable reasons to believe they are available on an RF basis. In developing the codec specification, the WG may consider information concerning old prior art or the results of research indicating royalty-free availability of particular techniques. Note that the preference stated in BCP 79 cannot guarantee that the working group will produce an IPR unencumbered codec.”

Alissa

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 17:23:27 +0200

Thank you Alissa.

Regards, Benoit
> .