Subject: [video-codec] Named features in H.264 / AVC

From: Borja Tarraso <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 19:56:01 +0200

Hi,

I am quite interested in the new features provided by H.264/AVC and using
as a reference the following well known document:

"Overview of the H.264/AVC Video Coding Standard. Thomas Wiegand, Gary J.
Sullivan, Senior Member, IEEE, Gisle Bjøntegaard, and Ajay Luthra, Senior
Member, IEEE"
Accessible from:
http://ip.hhi.de/imagecom_G1/assets/pdfs/csvt_overview_0305.pdf

In the page 561 (page 2 of the PDF) I can see a list of some highlighted
features.

I am trying to find additional information and details or examples for
those specific four features:

 - Decoupling of referencing order from display order
 - Decoupling of picture representation methods from picture referencing
capability
 - Weighted prediction
 - Improved “skipped” and “direct” motion inference

Is there any document where I could find more information about that? I
tried in the standard directly, even there, I cannot find those specific
features, maybe are renamed or named with a different name; if so, could
somebody illustrate how are know formally those features? I would really
appreciate any point to those specific features.

Many thanks in advance,

Regards,
Borja Tarraso