Subject: Re: [video-codec] New Charter Draft

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 12:08:36 -0500

Hi Timothy,

Thank you for putting this charter together.

following the W3C message back in November 2012, I'd like to propose two
additions.

The objective indicates "without the need to request a license, enter
into a business agreement, pay licensing fees or royalties, or attempt
to adhere to other onerous conditions or restrictions" but then the
Process section makes it only a preference, which is aligned with BCP
79.

> The working group shall heed the preference stated in BCP 79: "In
> general, IETF working groups prefer technologies with no known IPR
> claims or, for technologies with claims against them, an offer of
> royalty-free licensing." Although this preference cannot guarantee
> that the working group will produce an unencumbered codec, the working
> group should not proceed with publication of a codec RFC if there is
> consensus that it cannot "be widely implemented and easily distributed
> among application developers, service operators, and end users."

For the last sentence, how about:
[[
Although this preference cannot guarantee that the working group will
produce an unencumbered codec, the working group also recognizes the
request from the W3C for a royalty-free standard Web infrastructure and
should not proceed with publication of a codec RFC if there is consensus
that it cannot "be widely implemented and easily distributed among
application developers, service operators, and end users."
]]

> The working group will coordinate with the ITU-T (Study group 16) and
> ISO/IEC (JTC1/SC29 WG11), with the intent of submitting the completed
> codec RFC for co-publication by the ITU-T and ISO if the co-publishing 
> organizations find that appropriate.

Looking at the list of APIs that you mention in the Process, the work is
relevant to our HTML (HTML5, Media Source Extensions), Device APIs and
WebRTC Working Groups.

How about adding the following paragraph at the end of the collaboration
section:
[[
The working group will also coordinate with the W3C, in particular with
the HTML, Device APIs and WebRTC Working Groups, since one of the core
technical considerations is to use the resulting codec in Web APIs.
]]

Also, one minor correction:
 s/the MediaSource API/the Media Source Extensions/

Philippe