Subject: [video-codec] regarding the proposed charter

From: "Mohammed Raad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 23:54:43 +1000

Dear Timothy,

I recently started to follow this reflector regarding the intention to
define an internet friendly video codec within the IETF. You may be aware
that MPEG has an ongoing Internet Video Coding (IVC) exploration activity
which aims to meet many of the listed technical objectives you have listed
in your proposed charter. You may also be aware that participation levels in
that activity have been disappointing. So, I wanted to encourage potential
participants within this activity to participate in the MPEG IVC exploration
as well. The relevant reflector can be subscribed to by visiting
http://mailman.rwth-aachen.de/mailman/listinfo/mpeg-ivc .

My first impression is that the proposed charter you have posted provides a
number of challenging and important standardization objectives. As you may
be aware, a number of internet video coding and royalty free video coding
advocates have so far chosen to not contribute to the IVC exploration
activity. This is disappointing. Nonetheless, a number of MPEG's membership
are continuing to work on developing a suitable video compression standard
that can be used effectively on the internet. As such, I would like to
encourage interested experts from the IETF to contribute to the IVC
exploration so that we can meet the goals you have articulated (and,
potentially, more).

Best Regards,

Mohammed Raad, PhD.
Partner
RAADTECH CONSULTING
P.O. Box 113
Warrawong
NSW 2502 Australia
Phone: +61 414451478
Email: [email-masked]