Subject: [Tools-implementation] ftp: URLs in RFCs that point to ietf.org

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 12:09:58 -0400

This is the ftp: URLs in RFCs that point to ietf.org ...

rfc2077.txt:                    ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
rfc2418.txt:         located at ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive.  For
rfc2436.txt:      ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/1id-abstracts.txt
rfc2648.txt:            subtree pointed at by the URL ftp://ietf.org/ietf/ is
rfc2954.txt:                   ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/frnetmib
rfc2955.txt:                    ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/frnetmib
rfc3020.txt:         Email Archive: ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/frnetmib
rfc3083.txt:              Archive: ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/ipcdn
rfc3160.txt:   ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/.  If you don't find the list
rfc3160.txt:      ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.txt
rfc3201.txt:           Email Archive: ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/frnetmib
rfc3202.txt:           Email Archive: ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/frnetmib
rfc3285.txt:   ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/2-Word.template.rtf
rfc3285.txt:   ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/crlf.exe
rfc3295.txt:               ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/gsmp/
rfc3356.txt:      ftp://ftp.ietf.org/rfc/rfc-index.txt
rfc3356.txt:      ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/1id-abstracts.txt
rfc3684.txt:        ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/manet/2002-02.mail,
rfc3684.txt:        ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/manet/2002-03.mail, March
rfc3962.txt:              list, 5 May 2003, ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-
rfc3970.txt:                         Archive:          ftp://ops.ietf.org/pub/lists
rfc4036.txt:            Archive: ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/ipcdn
rfc4131.txt:              Archive: ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/ipcdn.
rfc4251.txt:                      ftp:// ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/secsh/2002-
rfc4323.txt:         Archive: ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/ipcdn
rfc4546.txt:             Archive: ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/ipcdn
rfc4547.txt:                Archive: ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/ipcdn
rfc4639.txt:                Archive: ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/ipcdn
rfc4677.txt:   at ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/ or they are in a web-based
rfc4682.txt:            Archive: ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/ipcdn
rfc5098.txt:         Archive: ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/ipcdn
rfc5428.txt:            Archive: ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/ipcdn
rfc6756.txt:      ftp://ftp.ietf.org/rfc/rfc-index.txt
rfc6756.txt:      ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/1id-abstracts.txt
rfc7241.txt:   <ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/1id-abstracts.txt>

Notes:

(1) RFC 5385 obsoletes RFC 3285, and those files do not exist.

(2) RFC 2648 has some very problematic language:

            The second way a URN is assigned is through the filing of
            meeting minutes by a working group or birds of a feather as
            part of an IETF conference.  The list of minutes maintained
            by the IETF for each working group and conference in the
            subtree pointed at by the URL ftp://ietf.org/ietf/ is
            considered the definitive assignment of URNs for working
            group or birds of a feather minutes.

I think this needs to be revisited by the ART area.

(3) RFC 3970 ia a MIB.  It has a URL in a comment:

           ftp://ops.ietf.org/pub/lists

This is probably something that needs to get updated to point to:

          https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/tewg/

Russ