Subject: [Tools-discuss] Missing DOI resources

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 09:37:04 +1000

See https://circleci.com/gh/quicwg/base-drafts/2076

The resource in question,
<https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml7/reference.DOI.10.1145/1282427.1282421.xml>,
used to be available.  The DOI appears to be correct, see
<http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=1282380.1282421>.

Has there been a change in the tools infrastructure, or is the back
end flaking somehow?

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 07:35:16 +0200

> <https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/public/rfc/bibxml7/reference.DOI.10.1145/1282427.1282421.xml>,

Right:

$ doilit 10.1145/1282427.1282421
  a:
    seriesinfo:
      ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review: Vol. 37, pp. 361
      DOI: 10.1145/1282427.1282421
    title: Structured streams
    author:
    - name: Bryan Ford
      ins: B. Ford
    date: '2007-10-01’

(Including this in the YAML would be the workaround for now.)

Wild guess as to the underlying problem:  Since the resolution of this doi now involves a redirect from HTTP to HTTPS, which was not supported (incorrectly considered insecure) in older versions of Ruby:  Has the server infrastructure behind bibxml7 possibly regressed to a historic version of Ruby?

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 11:14:26 +0200

Hi Carsten,

On 2017-06-02 07:35, Carsten Bormann wrote:
> Wild guess as to the underlying problem:  Since the resolution of
> this doi now involves a redirect from HTTP to HTTPS, which was not
> supported (incorrectly considered insecure) in older versions of
> Ruby:  Has the server infrastructure behind bibxml7 possibly
> regressed to a historic version of Ruby?

No, this server has never had a higher version of ruby then 1.9.3.

I hacked the installed kramdown-rfc2629-1.2.2/bin/doilit to say
https://dx.doi.org/, which got the service up and running again.

Thanks, Carsten.  Good wild guess :-)

	Henrik

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 14:52:18 +0200

> No, this server has never had a higher version of ruby then 1.9.3.

Oh, right.  That was October 30, 2011.
(That was the day "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1” premiered, 
Greek prime minister Papandreou announced a referendum on the EU Bailout,
and Ivanka Trump turned 30.  Just for context :-)

So it seems dx.doi.org now started redirecting to https sources.
That is certainly a good thing.

> https://dx.doi.org/, which got the service up and running again.

I pushed an updated kramdown-rfc2629 gem with this change as 1.2.3.

Thanks for fixing this so quickly.

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: "HANSEN, TONY L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 15:38:05 +0000

On 6/2/17, 8:52 AM, "Carsten Bormann" <[email-masked]> wrote:

    
    
    > https://dx.doi.org , which got the service up and running again.

I updated kramdown on tools.ief.org to pick up the change “officially”. A quick test shows bibxml7 still works.

	Tony

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2017 10:40:47 +1000

> Thanks for fixing this so quickly.

And from me :)