Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Notes from tools call 14 July

From: Liz Flynn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2020 19:05:24 -0700

Hi everyone,

Please see below for notes from yesterday’s tools call. A couple of reminders: 

- There is no meeting in August, so our next call will be Tuesday 8 September. 
- We will be using a new Webex bridge starting with the September call. I’ve updated the calendar and either Robert or I will make sure to send out the new link shortly before the meeting as well. 

Thanks,

Liz Flynn
Project Manager / IETF
[email-masked]

==========================

1. Hot Topics
   - RFC Production blocking issues - Alice / Henrik

Alice: We are having some ongoing discussions but nothing is blocking.

   - IETF 108 tooling support - Robert / Alexa / Henrik

This has been the primary focus the last several weeks for many of us.
Between this and bufixes and contracted projects compeleting, there have
been six releases of the datatracker since the last call.

We are set up to use codimd instead of etherpad. We changed where codimd
was deployed to provide ipv6. We've modified it (and the datatracker) to
facilitate embedding codimd in frames in meetecho.

Having many activities the week before the meeting "starts" (from the
datatracker's perspective) has required manual work and creative solutions
so that things appear on the agenda as we want them to.

We have changed the configuration and a little code at the datatracker so
that meeting materials (agenda, slides, minutes, etc) will be served through
cloudflare.

   - Using the OpenID Connect / OAUTH2 provider - Robert

Now that we are running an identity provider, we're starting to get requests
to add clients.

So far, the clients we've added have been driven by meeting support. Meetecho
and codimd are set up. The programmers at gather.town are looking to see if
they can integrate. We're getting queries from the community on how to integrate,
including suggestions to use the provider for ietf.slack.com (which would involve
adding a SAML provider). The way we plan to deal with requests to add clients is
to have the tools implementation team vet the request, then make a recommendation
to the IESG for approval or rejection.

   - Addressing larger infrastructure and architectural issues - Robert

There are a set of things long in need of attention that we plan to work on
between IETF 108 and 109. These include:

  * Measuring and improving performance, particularly of the datatracker.
  * Simplifying the filesystem structure that is used across applications.
  * Removing the last dependencies on the www6 website pages.
  * Adjusting the way the www.ietf.org url namespace is used.

   - Are there any other priority tool changes needed?
None mentioned.

2. Development Projects
   - Reimplementing the IETF website wagtail templates - Robert

An RFP is out now. See: https://www.ietf.org/media/documents/RFP-WagtailDevelopment-20200629.pdf

   - Meeting Application Improvements (IOLA) - Robert

IOLA continues to make steady progress, but still has several deliverables
to complete.

   - Automated Scheduler Part II (DashCare) - Robert

This has been completed and after IETF 108 will do a session with the Secretariat to show how it can be used. First set of testing we did in tools implementation group pointed out some improvements. 

   - RPC Security Code Review (ZX Security) - Robert

The review is complete, and a (final?) report has been provided. The report
doesn't cover how issues were resolved since the RPC will be doing that work,
and have not yet completed it.

Alice estimates two months for their work. 

   - YangCatalog (Pantheon) - Éric / Robert

Yangcatalog is now running as a set of Docker containers. Development of web
frontends for the administration tasks that previously required shell access
is well underway. We expect to see this deployed into amazon's cloud in the
next few weeks.

Web interface to administrative part. Things are progressing. Re containerized version, 
First estimate to run on AWS is very expensive.

   - Moving the datatracker to Django 2.2 - Robert

This is complete.

   - DMARC/SPF for aliases - Henrik

Meeting work has overtaken this for now.

   - Capturing external resources in the datatracker - Robert

Ready to merge. 

   - Github backups - Robert

Martin's CI tool and the extra script to capture metadata from repositories
that are not using Martin's tool continue to improve. We are not yet making
our own backups of repositories, but expect to be doing so within the next
couple of weeks.

3. Operations Projects
   - Are there any upcoming operations changes that need
     coordination with this team?

None mentioned.

4. Planning for upcoming projects
   - Improving customization of calendars - Robert

We are gathering quotes from several contractors to improve the customized
calendars on the main agenda page and to provide customized calendars for
upcoming meetings. 

   - Exploring fronting web services with nginx - Robert

No progress this cycle.

   - Revising html/css/template structure for the website - Greg
   - Moving the datatracker to postgresql - Robert

This will be included in the optimization work mentioned above.

5. Are there any unmet needs?

None mentioned.