Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Tools call agenda -- 14 July 2020 at 1800 UTC

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 15:47:12 -0500

Note that, as usual, we do not have a tools call scheduled in August.
The next call after this one is currently scheduled for 8 September.

Please bash this agenda by email before we get to the meeting.

I've added my notes to the message below instead of replying separately 
this time.
If you have notes to add, please do so.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tools Call Agenda -- 14 July 2020 at 1800 UTC

JOIN WEBEX MEETING
https://ietf.webex.com/ietf/j.php?MTID=m440dd848726339c03e605b9956e38bac
Meeting number (access code): 640 103 570
Meeting password: tools

JOIN BY PHONE
1-877-668-4493 Call-in toll free number (US/Canada)
1-650-479-3208 Call-in toll number (US/Canada)
Meeting number (access code): 640 103 570
Meeting password: tools

1. Hot Topics
    - RFC Production blocking issues - Alice / Henrik
    - IETF 108 tooling support - Robert / Alexa / Henrik
    - Using the OpenID Connect / OAUTH2 provider - Robert
    - Addressing larger infrastructure and architectural issues - Robert
    - Are there any other priority tool changes needed?

2. Development Projects
    - Reimplementing the IETF website wagtail templates - Robert
    - Meeting Application Improvements (IOLA) - Robert
    - Automated Scheduler Part II (DashCare) - Robert
    - RPC Security Code Review (ZX Security) - Robert
    - YangCatalog (Pantheon) - Éric / Robert
    - Moving the datatracker to Django 2.2 - Robert
    - DMARC/SPF for aliases - Henrik
    - Capturing external resources in the datatracker - Robert
    - Github backups - Robert

3. Operations Projects
    - Are there any upcoming operations changes that need
      coordination with this team?

4. Planning for upcoming projects
    - Improving customization of calendars - Robert
    - Exploring fronting web services with nginx - Robert
    - Revising html/css/template structure for the website - Greg
    - Moving the datatracker to postgresql - Robert

5. Are there any unmet needs?
    - Open discussion

6. Any Other Business

---------------------------------------------------------------------
My notes to help move the call along

 > 1. Hot Topics
 >    - RFC Production blocking issues - Alice / Henrik
 >    - IETF 108 tooling support - Robert / Alexa / Henrik

This has been the primary focus the last several weeks for many of us.
Between this and bufixes and contracted projects compeleting, there have
been six releases of the datatracker since the last call.

We are set up to use codimd instead of etherpad. We changed where codimd
was deployed to provide ipv6. We've modified it (and the datatracker) to
facilitate embedding codimd in frames in meetecho.

Having many activities the week before the meeting "starts" (from the
datatracker's perspective) has required manual work and creative solutions
so that things appear on the agenda as we want them to.

We have changed the configuration and a little code at the datatracker so
that meeting materials (agenda, slides, minutes, etc) will be served through
cloudflare.

 >   - Using the OpenID Connect / OAUTH2 provider - Robert

Now that we are running an identity provider, we're starting to get requests
to add clients.

So far, the clients we've added have been driven by meeting support. 
Meetecho
and codimd are set up. The programmers at gather.town are looking to see if
they can integrate. We're getting queries from the community on how to 
integrate,
including suggestions to use the provider for ietf.slack.com (which 
would involve
adding a SAML provider). The way we plan to deal with requests to add 
clients is
to have the tools implementation team vet the request, then make a 
recommendation
to the IESG for approval or rejection.

 >   - Addressing larger infrastructure and architectural issues - Robert

There are a set of things long in need of attention that we plan to work on
between IETF 108 and 109. These include:

   * Measuring and improving performance, particularly of the datatracker.
   * Simplifying the filesystem structure that is used across applications.
   * Removing the last dependencies on the www6 website pages.
   * Adjusting the way the www.ietf.org url namespace is used.

 >   - Are there any other priority tool changes needed?

 > 2. Development Projects
 >    - Reimplementing the IETF website wagtail templates - Robert

We have an RFP outstanding. It is about to enter the Q/A period with
questions due 13Jul, and answers due 20Jul. Bids are due 27Jul.
See: 
https://www.ietf.org/media/documents/RFP-WagtailDevelopment-20200629.pdf

 >    - Meeting Application Improvements (IOLA) - Robert

IOLA continues to make steady progress, but still has several deliverables
to complete.

 >    - Automated Scheduler Part II (DashCare) - Robert

This is complete and deployed. Early testing shows there are a few rule
additions we can make (easily) that would improve the algorithm. I am 
waiting
until after 108 to show the secretariat how to use it.

 >    - RPC Security Code Review (ZX Security) - Robert

The review is complete, and a (final?) report has been provided. The report
doesn't cover how issues were resolved since the RPC will be doing that 
work,
and have not yet completed it.

 >    - YangCatalog (Pantheon) - Éric / Robert

Yangcatalog is now running as a set of Docker containers. Development of web
frontends for the administration tasks that previously required shell access
is well underway. We expect to see this deployed into amazon's cloud in the
next few weeks.

 >    - Moving the datatracker to Django 2.2 - Robert

This is complete.

 >    - DMARC/SPF for aliases - Henrik
 >    - Capturing external resources in the datatracker - Robert

This should be ready to merge soon, possibly before the meeting.

 >    - Github backups - Robert

Martin's CI tool and the extra script to capture metadata from repositories
that are not using Marting's tool continue to improve. We are not yet making
our own backups of repositories, but expect to be doing so within the next
couple of weeks.

 >
 > 3. Operations Projects
 >    - Are there any upcoming operations changes that need
 >      coordination with this team?
 >
 > 4. Planning for upcoming projects
 >    - Improving customization of calendars - Robert

We are gathering quotes from several contractors to improve the customized
calendars on the main agenda page and to provide customized calendars for
upcoming meetings.

 >    - Exploring fronting web services with nginx - Robert

No progress this cycle.

 >    - Moving the datatracker to postgresql - Robert

This will be included in the optimization work mentioned above.
 >
 > 5. Are there any unmet needs?
 >    - Open discussion
 >
 > 6. Any Other Business