Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Tools Team Report -- 12 May 2020

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 16:24:44 -0400

Tools Team Report -- 12 May 2020

1. Hot Topics
   - There is a bug in xml2rfc (when a <dl> nested within a <dl>) that
     is blocking the publication of an RFC.  This has been reported as
     ticket 508, and it is being investigated.
   - Investigating ways for Meetecho to be able to support virtual
     interim meetings and virtual IETF meetings.
   - Some people are asking for changes to the content of the .ics file
     on the upcoming meetings page. Additionally, there are calendaring
     related suggestions to consider in the feedback from the recent
     survey on planning for online IETF meetings.

2. Development Projects
   - A review session was held with the Secretariat on the new meeting
     schedule editor.  The Secretariat asked for many improvements.
     They have been sent to IOLA.
   - Dashcare has started work on the automatic schedule generator.
   - ZX Security done an initial security review of the RPC code, and
     they have provided an initial set of comments.  Discussion with
     the RPC staff is the next step.
   - Several Datatracker changes regarding interim meetings were made
     at the request of the IESG.  (See many details at
     https://datatracker.ietf.org/release/).
   - We have a request from the IAB to allow their programs to request
     meetings and manage materials similar to IETF WGs/IRTF RGs.  This
     has been implemented; it will be part of an upcoming release.
   - The Datatracker transition to Django2 is nearing completion.
   - The Wagtail portion of the IETF website has been upgraded to
     Django2 and a recent release of Wagtail. This required the removal
     of some local extensions to the deprecated Hallo editor.  The
     transition of some of the extensions to the newer Draftrail is
     under investigation. It is now easier to keep the IETF website
     project aligned with new releases of Wagtail as they come out.
   - An instance of CodiMD has been deployed for experimentation.  The
     IETF WG chairs were informed, but it has not seen much use yet.
   - A tool was provided to help advance the NomCom eligibility
     discussion.  Real data is important to that discussion.

3. Operations Projects
   - Yesterday, the IETF website got a flood of malformed URLs. A
     filter is now in place to keep them from harming the site.
   - An experiment is just starting with fronting some of the proxied
     applications with nginx.  If this works out well, the outer layer
     of Apache will be replaced by nginx,

4. Planning for upcoming projects
   - We have NOT issued the RFP for GitHub backups for two reasons.
     First, it is unclear there is anyone with a product that could bid.
     Second, Martin Thomson and Mike Bishop have created a bespoke
     solution that will likely serve our needs.  It needs to be
     expanded to backup open Pull Requests, but once this is done, it
     looks like a promising way forward.
   - There have been several suggestions around a revision of the
     errata verification system. Robert is collecting requirements for
     a possible upcoming project.

5. Are there any unmet needs?
   - No unmet needs were reported to the Tool Team this month.

6. Other
   - Henrik Levkowetz will be the Tools Team advisor for the upcoming
     NomCom.
   - A virtual codesprint will take place on 19 May 2020.
   - The Tools Team is being re-structured into an implementation group
     and an at-large group.
     -- The new Tools Team chair will be Robert Sparks.
     -- The implementation group will be Robert Sparks, Henrik Levkowetz,
        Russ Housley, Glen Barney, Alexey Melnikov, and Roman Danyliw.
     -- The at-large group will be Ben Campbell, Bob Hinden, Éric Vyncke,
        Jari Arkko, John Levine, Julian Reschke, Rich Salz, Tero Kivinen,
        Tony Hansen, Alexa Morris, Alice Russo, Karen Moreland, Liz Flynn,
        Ryan Cross, Cindy Morgan, Sandy Ginoza, and Jay Daley.