Subject: [TOOLS-DEVELOPMENT] Tools Team Report -- 14 April 2020

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 14:04:13 -0400

Tools Team Report -- 14 April 2020

1. Datatracker Projects
   - See https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/browser/trunk/PLAN
     -- Raised the priority for the transition to Django 2.0.
     -- Raised the priority for the transition to PostgreSQL.
   - IOLA has completed the work on Meeting Application Improvements,
     and testings by the Secretariat will begin this week.  Of course,
     issues raised in testing will be resolved promptly.
   - Dashcare completed the first part of the automated meeting schedule
     builder, and now the IETF LLC is negotiating for the work to begin
     on the second part, which is the pat that will actually generate a
     draft IETF meeting schedule for the Secretariat.
   - Contracts for Tools Maintenance and Minor Tools Enhancements were
     awarded to Elf Tools and Painless Security, respectively.  In both
     cases work is going well.
   - Heads up: There is an on going discussion about NomCom eligibility
     in light of an all virtual IETF 107.  Discussions have begun
     regarding the changes that might be needed to support the
     Secretariat in seating the next NomCom.

2. Community & Other Projects
   - Investigating the use of CodiMD instead of Etherpad was delayed by
     the work in the Datatracker to support an all virtual IETF meeting.
     Current plan is to deploy CodiMD in a cloud service and let any
     groups that have a desire experiment with CodiMD.  This experiment
     should show whether CodiMD is a better fit for IETF needs than
     Etherpad.
   - Discussions have begun about how Meetecho can be used to support
     virtual interim meetings.

3. RFC Services Projects
   - Some documents were blocked by a bug in xml2rfc; the fix was 
     released earlier today.
   - ZX Security will conduct a security review of the tools used by the
     RFC Production Center in April and early May.  Once any security
     problems that are found are fixed, these tools will be released to
     a open source repository.

4. Server Infrastructure
   - Exploring the use of nginx in front of some web sites.

5. YANG Catalog
   - A development copy of YANGcatalog.org is running in a container.
     We are exploring the deployment of that container in the cloud
     service.
   - PANTHEON.tech handles YANG Catalog maintenance and many
     administrative actions under contract.  We are exploring which of
     the administrative actions could be performed by the Secretariat,
     and how the web interface would need to change for them to do so.

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 15:59:26 -0400

Robert pointed out that I misunderstood one thing that he said on the Tools Team call earlier today.  Here is an update to the report to correct my misunderstanding.

Russ

> On Apr 14, 2020, at 2:04 PM, Russ Housley <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

   - IOLA has delivered part of the work on Meeting Application
     Improvements, and testing by the Secretariat on the meeting
     schedule editing capability will begin this week.  Of course,
     issues raised in testing will be resolved promptly.  IOLA is
     continuing to work on the rest of their contract deliverables.